Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Flashing LED indicators

clevitt

Re: Flashing LED indicators

Post by clevitt »

Hi Len,
The 2 pin flasher unit will only work with filament bulbs. For LED bulbs, you need 3 pin flashers, as sold by Classic Car LEDs,

digcot65

Post by digcot65 »

Using only one relay,then it is still only switching two bulbs ,But it happens to be before the ind switch which changes its use to either side it switches to Len

clevitt

Post by clevitt »

Using a single relay before the indicator switch would result in the trafficator arm going up and down in synchronisation with the bulbs going on and off.

digcot65

Post by digcot65 »

When you say you used separate flasher for each unit,this is what Ive done.There is no reason mine shouldnt work,its only the same as having one flasher being switched by tje ind switch Len

digcot65

Post by digcot65 »

Morning again,how could you use one flasher unit and keep the original trafficators

clevitt

Post by clevitt »

by digcot65 ยป Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:24 am
When you say you used separate flasher for each unit,this is what Ive done.There is no reason mine shouldnt work,its only the same as having one flasher being switched by tje ind switch Len

I used filament bulbs rather than LEDs. Try your bench test again, using filament bulbs in place of the LEDs.

Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:50 am
Morning again,how could you use one flasher unit and keep the original trafficators

It can't be done, you need separate flashers for left and right sides

Chris

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Yes follow Mashesmarks recommendation and fit Led Flashing Bulbs ,easy to fit and are very effective .

Cheers Al ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

digcot65

Post by digcot65 »

Re the above circuit I have fitted the original type trafficator relays as I dont know if the new electronic type ,were faulty It maybe that they didnt work due to them being polarity conscious and the car is positive earth. However I fitted a 3 ohm 50 watt resistor across each LED and the flashers now work and the trafficator arms works normally as well But even with the original trafficator relays fitted I had to connect the wires back to front .Battery lead to load terminal and load to battery terminal The joy of having to think re classic cars Len

digcot65

Post by digcot65 »

Morning Ive now put a 6 ohm resistor across each LED and I found that using my original trafficator relays and changing the terminals round, load and battery so load was connected to the battery one ,they now work So one job less to do Len

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

All that I did, was purchase Two LED Bulbs, remove the old type , fitted the new ones ,and they worked with no problems . ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
Seems to me that unfortunately you seem to have made life difficult for yourself , having to use โ€œResistorsโ€ and all sorts of other stuff ., Hey- Ho we live and learn ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
Cheers Al ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘