Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Million-to-one shot!

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Million-to-one shot!

Post by Stan Thomas »

Thanks for your continued help and interest "Norfolk lad".

I don't have a key, other than one which will slide in. As with the design of all this type of lock, with the door open (of course) if you put the proper key in and turn it to to the locked position, you can then insert a piece of stiff wire in a hole on the face of the lock which depresses a plunger so the tumbler barrel can be withdrawn. Then you can remove the lock completely from the door.

Problem is without the proper key to start with, you cannot remove the tumbler barrel or dismantle the lock, the only recourse then is to slash your wrists.

I know now why people keep whippets, go bungee jumping or collect Rumanian ash trays as a hobby - anything other than get involved in vintage cars. You pay stupid money for an old Daimler just to drive somewhere that you could probably go to on the bus for £2.65. We must be mad!!

Marcel Renshaw
Man of Many Parts
Man of Many Parts

Post by Marcel Renshaw »

The last time I paid that on a bus it took me about 4 miles. I departed the bus two stops early just to get away from the dreadful noise and uncomfortable seat.
I hoped for an old lady or pregnant woman to get on so I could offer them the seat.

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

What happened to skeleton keys? I haven't heard them mentioned for years. Would it be possible to file down a key that fits until it acts like a skeleton key and opens the lock? Worth a try with a spare key.

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Norfolk Lad »

Stan a photo of the key might be good to see and we can see how many side flutes it has , and a measurement to the key and flutes also.
Skeleton key's bit like the master key guess they buried the only one they had.

Peter

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

Good idea Peter - but the difficulty is you cannot convey the ridge-cuttings (the "humps" on the edge of the key) by photograph to the degree required to provide dimensions.

I've sent for four H & TV keys off ebay for £8 - that's £2 per "try" - which is better odds than the lottery.

Next step is to see if a latter "FA", "FP" or "FS" key will at least slide in - then if push comes to shove, I'll take the bl***Y door off (assisted by Michael Caine of course) to some autojumbler who sells keys off a display board and sit there and try them all.

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Norfolk Lad »

Stan it was really just to look and see how many flutes were cut in the side of the key but we are working with the same idea can we match it to others, the skeleton key if we had one would open i guess to get the cylinder out but where are they now.

Heard this story of how a few Norfolk lads played up a local policeman by moving his mini van 10 miles to a police station, he had been visiting some lady friend while on duty van gone when he went outside.
One of the boy's worked for a main dealer he had borrowed the skeleton key from work so they could move the van , they never did hear anything or how he got on when the van was found locked on the station car park
He would never leave the local lads alone so they had it in for him , before that they had tied his bike to the top of a flag pole .
Same lady getting a visit but he worked that one out as local lads so made one get it down using his dads ladder .

Peter

keef

Post by keef »

A decent locksmith should be able to pick an old lock like this pretty easily, then you can at least remove the barrel.