Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Picture of the car on the crane at a scrapyard

Website Comments, instructions for REGISTERING and POSTING, Chat about anything
Simon Hyslop

Picture of the car on the crane at a scrapyard

Post by Simon Hyslop »

I don't know about anyone else but the picture of the car at the scrapyard on the crane in the slideshow makes me feel a little unwell. Pictures of steam engines being scrapped in the 60s gives me a similar feeling. I think it's something about our ability as a species to create things which have such potential for service and longevity and then to destroy them with little concern for what went into their manufacture or future use.

John-B
Site Admin

Re: Picture of the car on the crane at a scrapyard

Post by John-B »

It was Graham E who pointed me to Unloved Classic and Retro Cars on Facebook and although I hate to see cars in stages from slightly damaged to a pile of rust, I find the situations they are in fascinating. Interesting backgrounds of rubbish dumps, tired old buildings, backyards and so on or lovely images of the countryside, forests, lakes etc. Some vehicles are obviously put on poles or top of buildings or chimney stacks as advertisements, probably for a scrapyard.

Cars in beautiful condition and fine surroundings can often make boring pictures. The header images generally show a majority of photos of vehicles in show condition, and the contrast with wrecks is interesting, to me, at any rate.

I like to think of what repairs or restoration is required for unloved cars whereas my mind is a blank when I look at a car in show condition.