Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

UFOs & Aliens

Website Comments, instructions for REGISTERING and POSTING, Chat about anything

Do aliens and UFOs exist? (Two choices which you can change.)

Aliens do exist (over 70% sure). (UFOs are manned and are not just robotic drones.)
18%
Aliens don't exist.
24%
I'm not sure about aliens.
6%
UFOs are alien-made (over 90% sure).
24%
UFOs are man-made.
18%
I'm not sure about UFOs.
12%

Total votes: 17

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: UFOs & Aliens

Post by Fossil »

Antony

Message received and understood.

Unfortunately the image is somewhat larger than A4 and I don't have an A3 scanner. I'll try to photograph it and will post the outcome if it is reasonable. Alternatively if you'd like the photograph itself I can email it to you.

Over

Geoff

AntonyB

Post by AntonyB »

Hello Geoff

Thanks very much for the offer, I have sent you an e-mail (via the Forum, never tried this before) which I assume will have my e-mail details, and would be very pleased to have an image e-mailed direct.

Many thanks in advance.

Antony

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Fossil »

I hoped to add a photo of the Eagle SP250 centrefold illustration of 6 January 1962, but the file is too large! I'm open to thoughts on how to reduce the size, thanks.

A personal non-alien perspective: that illustration and description of the car was a major influence on my decision to buy one eight years later, from a tiny single mews garage dealer in Belgravia, which was fun in the true sense. So to cheer you up a couple of photos of that car in various places.
Dart Tarbert 1973.jpg
On holiday in Tarbert, Argyll.
Dart Syon Park Rally 73.jpg
At the DLOC annual rally at Syon Park in 1973
Dart Rheidahlen 74.jpg
Now, back to the aliens?

Regards

Geoff

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Fossil »

A second try, much smaller file. I've learned a little more about my camera.

You'll need a magnifying glass to read the small print, but I can send the larger file by email if you pm me.
DSC01774.JPG
OK?

Regards

Geoff

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Post by Brian-H »

Hi Geoff

Thanks for the full-res picture. It's 5184x3888 pixels, 7MB on disc, a fabulous picture.

I'm amazed that that was in the Eagle comic, 6 January 1962 !!

cheers
Brian

btw, I've been thinking about "anti-gravity" - might elaborate later if other peripheral stuff doesn't continue/come along

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Post by Brian-H »

With Geoff's permission I've uploaded the SP250 centrefold to Imgur click here
If anyone wants to read the small print and/or download their own hi-res copy, all they need to do is click on that link.
[I suggest you right-click on "click here" and use "open link in new tab", then in the new tab right-click on the image and use "open image in new tab", then go to the next new tab and use the "+" to get full size]

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Fossil »

To divert slightly and briefly, I was always very fond of the artist Roy Cross's work, it stood out in comparison with other illustrator's pictures as being seemingly effortlessly accurate and artistic; if you search in the usual ways online you will find much of his output in aircraft and marine art, he is/was responsible for much of the good artwork on Airfix and other plastic kit boxes, and there are several books devoted to him also. Truly a master of his craft.

Fossil

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Post by Brian-H »

I did wonder about the name in the illustration, on the ground behind the SP250
There's a short entry about him in wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Cross_(artist)

A couple of extracts
".... he learned his craft at the Camberwell School of Art and as a technical illustrator for training manuals for Fairey Aviation during the second world war. He progressed from there to producing advertising art for the aircraft industry and other companies. He illustrated for The Aeroplane and the Eagle comic."
and
"He was interviewed by James May in James May's Top Toys, discussing the changing tastes in box art and the airbrushing out of bombs and explosions from his pictures."

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

I loved the exploded detailed drawings of aircraft, battleships, submarines and other machinery in the Eagle which may have been by a different artist as they more like engineering drawings than the artist's impression of the SP250.

Back to aliens, but not UFOs. Today's TV was about an iron hammer with a wooden shaft that was found in Texas embedded in rock 140 million years old. The wood had "coalified" and partly petrified. Carbon dating doesn't go back that far and there was a lot of comment on how carbon dating is unreliable after a few thousand years back. It can also produce results several thousand years in the future if the object has been subjected to radiation, say from a nuclear bomb. There are archaeological objects from India which appear to be from the future, suggesting that aliens set off nuclear explosions in the past, and sand turned to glass in the middle east and Africa.

Human footprints have been discovered somewhere else next to dinosaur footprints, also in rock, so the hammer and footprints suggest that humans were on earth 140 million years ago, or they were aliens looking like humans (although I think aliens would have got more advanced than the iron hammer and bare feet).

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Post by Brian-H »

I must say that as I was reading the above, "creationist hogwash" came to my mind. Then when I looked up the hammer in google and then read the wikipedia entry my suspicions were confirmed.

The hammer is known as the "London hammer" because it was found in 1936 in Texas USA, along the course of the Red Creek near the Texas town of London.

The Hammer began to attract wider attention after it was bought by creationist Carl Baugh in 1983, who claimed the artifact was a "monumental 'pre-Flood' discovery." He has used it as the basis of speculation of how the atmospheric quality of a pre-flood earth could have encouraged the growth of giants. The hammer is now an exhibit in Baugh's Creation Evidence Museum, which sells replicas of it to visitors.

Other observers have noted that the hammer is stylistically consistent with typical American tools manufactured in the region in the late 1800s. Its design is consistent with a miner's hammer. One possible explanation for the rock containing the artifact is that the highly soluble minerals in the ancient limestone may have formed a concretion around the object, via a common process (like that of a petrifying well) which often creates similar encrustations around fossils and other nuclei in a relatively short time. Also, on part of the rock broken off to reveal the hammer, lies embedded the remains of a clam shell (see on pic above) and whilst its precise age/species has yet to be properly analysed, it appears a relatively modern species.

I've had JW's at my door who refuted my statement that human cultivation settlements in Turkey and Mesopotamia date back 10,000 years, long before the chronology back to the story of Adam and Eve (IIRC about 5,000 BC). When they refuted it, I told them that carbon dating gave the evidence, to which they trotted out exactly the same stuff about the unreliability of carbon dating.

Note also that Scientology is sometimes known as a "UFO religion"