Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

What is a straight line?

Website Comments, instructions for REGISTERING and POSTING, Chat about anything
Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

What is a straight line?

Post by Stan Thomas »

Is a motorcycle in the "Wall-of-Death" attraction in a fairground travelling in a straight line or a curve?

If you walk down a corridor train to the buffet car whilst the train travels around a bend, are you walking in a straight line?

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: What is a straight line?

Post by Sydsmith »

Nurse! Nurse! My head hurts.

Nice one Stan. Syd

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Post by Brian-H »

It depends on the frame of reference.

Interestingly, it's to do with Newtonian Mechanics - note that these were not people who maintained Newtons horse and cart, but Newtonian Mechanics is his broad topic which includes his Laws of Motion (which were nothing to do with the County Court or the Crown Court). One of the Laws of Motion says that, in those 2 examples given by Stan, the forces are equal and opposite, it they weren't, the object would not move, or would not sustain its path. A better example of this is a car trying to accelerate on sand - it won't because the sand does not "push back".

Another example of a straight line is a Mobius strip.

Note that Newtonian Mechanics is also vaguely related to "anti-gravity" which I was going to expand upon in the "aliens and UFOs" thread (anti-gravity does not exist btw).

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Post by Brian-H »

btw if you take a frame of reference external to the Milky Way, then nothing travels in a straight line, because even when walking in what seems like a straight line, the earth is rotating, the solar system is rotating, the Milky Way is rotating, and the Milky Way is itself travelling through the universe.

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

I think you are all going round the bend. :(

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Post by Brian-H »

^ on a Mobius strip that would be a straight line :?:

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

Bear with me John-B. ......................................

.................................... The outcome of this post will could be stupendous - and I mean STUPENDOUS!!

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Post by Brian-H »

Stan Thomas wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:36 am Is a motorcycle in the "Wall-of-Death" attraction in a fairground travelling in a straight line or a curve?

If you walk down a corridor train to the buffet car whilst the train travels around a bend, are you walking in a straight line?

Obviously trick questions "along the lines" of this one

There are ten sheep walking in a straight line across a field. What numbered sheep can look back and say he is the third from the last in line

(the motorcycle one is not too difficult)

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

He is number seven if he is third FROM the last, but number eight from BEING the last.
Last edited by Stan Thomas on Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

I can see that the crazy season has started, if I could get together with my brother's family, silly games and cracker jokes would surely happen. :D