Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

How many know?

Website Comments, instructions for REGISTERING and POSTING, Chat about anything
Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

How many know?

Post by Sydsmith »

It is illegal to keep an uninsured car on your drive or in your garage.

In specific circumstances, a car can be seized by the police impounded and crushed if it is kept on a drive or in a garage, what are they?

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Re: How many know?

Post by Brian-H »

Guessing a bit here, either
1. It's SORN but there's evidence that it's been used or parked on the public roads
2. It's not SORN

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Post by A.N.Other »

There was talk of the EU bringing in the law after a case but I have forgotten the specifics. Something with a V an N and some other letters in its name. I was under the impression though, that since Brexit, it does NOT apply in the UK and therefore no increase in insurance policies etc and existing UK laws are applicable.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Post by Brian-H »

I just found this on Citizen's Advice

You don't need motor insurance if:
  • you have a valid Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN)
  • your vehicle has been kept off a public road since before 1 February 1998
  • your vehicle has been scrapped, stolen or exported and you have given notice of this
  • your vehicle is between dealers or is being held in stock by an authorised dealer

NickDeAth
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by NickDeAth »

My Consort has been off the road since before SORN began, in a lock up garage on private property. It has never been insured.

I have made a few enqireys to the DVLA over the years and nothing has ever been said about insurance.

In one reply they said that nothing would change until it touched a public road under it's own steam, then it would need to be insured and roadworthy. If it is then taken off the road again it would need to be declared as SORN. As I understand it if a car is declared SORN which would require it to stored off the public highway it doesn't need insurance.

If a car is off the road on private property it is unlikely to be invovolved in any sort of accident so what would be the need for third party insurance?

The only insurance I could see being prudent would be for theft and or possibly fire, depending on the value of the car.

I will stand to be corrected on any of my assumptions.

Nick
"Nick - do you think you will ever put that old car back together again?"

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Post by Brian-H »

Big Col wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:34 pm There was talk of the EU bringing in the law after a case but I have forgotten the specifics. Something with a V an N and some other letters in its name. I was under the impression though, that since Brexit, it does NOT apply in the UK and therefore no increase in insurance policies etc and existing UK laws are applicable.
Intrigued, I googled "new eu car insurance law" and found it's Vnuk - which is the surname (in English/Latin alphabet) of a Slovenian man.
This article seems a good explanation of this case, which ultimately ended up in the ECJ and, as you say, does not apply in the UK. But that article concludes "Certainly a number of previously uninsured vehicles will now potentially be in the frame including, for example, fork lift trucks, Segways, invalid carriages, sit on lawnmowers and many others. The ABI is looking at this issue and a consultation paper seeking views as to the implications of and answers to Vnuk is likely to be issued shortly by the DfT."

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Yes it is interesting, I was looking up something else and came across this in confused.com.

There was no explanation, just the blank statement that "all cars must be insured even if they are off the road on a drive or in a garage".

As I have one that is not insured but in the garage, I was interested to see why they claimed that, it is right, except that as long as the car is SORN, over a certain age, or in a trade holding yard, it must be insured, so a bit of a red herring.

I wonder how many cars ever get pulled in for that one. I doubt the police would be too interested, unless there is another offence being committed.

Crafty way to make sure all cars are registered with DVLA.

NickDeAth
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by NickDeAth »

Let me first say that I am a law abiding citizen and would not knowingly break the law.

My principle on this is that if I want to keep my own private property on my own or someone else's private land why do I have to have it insured. I am certainly unaware of any law that says I must.

I don't disagree that vehicles should be registered so that DVLA can keep track of them .

I wouldn't even try to guess how many thousands of vehicles there are in dusty barns and hedges, garages and sheds up and down the country which are not insured. Over the years I have seen just about every type of vehicle from road rollers to armoured cars with number plates on them with small forests growing through them, I would give a pound to a pinch of the soft brown stuff not one of them is insured.

Nick
"Nick - do you think you will ever put that old car back together again?"

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Post by Brian-H »

Yep, as everyone knows, if a vehicle has been on the road fully insured and with tax/MOT relevant to the car, then as soon as it's kept on private land you can cancel the insurance and tax and declare it SORN - but then you usually keep getting a SORN reminder each year.

But my experience is also that if a vehicle is registered as a historic vehicle then even if that vehicle was recently on the road fully insured and with tax/MOT relevant to the car, as soon as it's kept on private land with cancelled insurance and tax and declared SORN, then for some reason historic vehicles don't get yearly reminders - at least, not in my experience.

The Vnuk case was about something else, which was a vehicle being moved under its own power on private (farm) land and causing injury, and indirectly the fact that any vehicle that's moving on private land should have some form of insurance to cover injury to a 3rd party. That's the decision the ECJ came to and, post-Brexit, the ABI etc are looking into this here in the UK.