Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Bandsaw

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
New Dexter
Wise Man
Wise Man

Bandsaw

Post by New Dexter »

I have a band saw that has been working well for about ten years. However, recently it started to shed the blade a few seconds into a cut. I am cutting only mild steel.
The tensions achieved by winding a knurled nut as it's only going to be as tight as a human hand can achieve. The blade guide on the left, as the blade leaves the free wheel is fine. The bearings that guide the blade are revolving. The guide on the right, the one that "receives" the blade is in similar condition but at some point the blade jumps off the driven wheel.
Does anyone have any experience of this?

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Bandsaw

Post by Norfolk Lad »

Should there be a bearing behind the blade so it is stopped from being pushed off the wheel when cutting .
Just looked at a Clarke one which has a upstand on the pulley so not possible the load would push it off, must be movement on pulleys or out of shape or you need more tension on the blade.
Bit of a problem i guess to see what happens when it is running wish you the best of luck.

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Post by A.N.Other »

As a general rule the blade will run to the tightest point of the tension wheel. Same with conveyor belts, the tightest side of the rollers will draw the belt up.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

New Dexter
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by New Dexter »

Thank you Colin. I will take some photos of the guides to illustrate. What baffles me is that the machine has been running fine. I thought it might have been the blade and even with a brand new one it has the same problem. While not under load it's fine but threaten it with some work and after a little while the blade jumps off the driven wheel.

Paulkennedy

Post by Paulkennedy »

I run a Record band saw and I have never had that problem. So are you saying that when pushing the work against the blade you are pushing the blade off the back of the driving wheel.
Paul

New Dexter
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by New Dexter »

Paul. Thank you for your comment. As the blade is applied to the item to be cut it's fine. It starts to cut yet within a few seconds the blade jumps the drive wheel and the swear box starts to fill up. I have made sure that the rate that the blade is lowered is minimal but the moment things start to become "serious" there's a ping and the blade comes off