Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Fuel tank sealant

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
Alpine Daimler

Re: Fuel tank sealant

Post by Alpine Daimler »

1 year and 7 months and a lot of other work later I thought I should take the trouble to finish off this post which I started!!

The following pictures tell the story, its a lot of fiddly, staying up late with regular and thorough sloshing about and turning tank around all axi (or is that axissses)?) work and I'm not sure I would recommend this. Over here and probobly over there all the chemicals and residue from flushing have to be collected and disposed of according to local regulations and by-laws, of which we have a few.
I ended up with dozens of canisters, buckets, water bottles, dog bowls, flower vases full of chemicals and residue which I had to regularly de-cant before bringing all the goo to the local dump.

Frau Rob was called to the celler in the the small hours to help me spin the only little leaking a little bit full tank (55 liters) in all possible directions with helpful and precise instructions and constructive criticism from me, soon got fed up and fired lots of "why" questions in my direction.

One can see from the pics she did a pretty good job, a bit patchy, but at least 9 out of 10 for effort if not enthusiasm, the tank has had petrol in for several months and the car has been running, it doesn't leak, it doesn't stink of fuel in the car, the sealant does not appear to have dissolved, moved up the the fuel line and carb jets and set like concrete, there is no longer visible rust in filter bowl.....yet. Also that bubble seen whilst pressure testing the tank eminating from brazed joint at filler neck has been sealed by the sealant.........and we are still together.

As Col and Richard have mentioned above, the instructions have to be followed to the letter and I rather think to order a new tank is much, much quicker option and when one considers the expense of blasting, chemicals, rust converter, undercoat, divorce lawyers etc etc perhaps not too much more expensive.

I should add again this is another one of those jobs that perhaps members or readers whose core competances are not necessarily with spanners and sockets could attempt this and most likely produce a fantastic result and achieve a great deal of self satisfaction, all they have to do is get someone to remove the tank and put it back!

Regards
Rob C.
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_2f0.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2ed.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2ec.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2eb.jpeg

Alpine Daimler

Post by Alpine Daimler »

....and here are few more pictures which I could not add to above post :
The last pic shows a slightly disappointing coverage of that part of the tank directly below the sender unit but a solid, if rather thin, coating of POR15 has applied itself there....I hope!
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_2f1.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2ef.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2ee.jpeg

classiclife
Classic Wise Man
Classic Wise Man

Post by classiclife »

Well done Rob, that is an excellent result under the circumstances - agreed it is labour intensive but there is a sense of satisfaction on completing the job.

When I used the POR15 tank sealer, it was for a Sunbeam Alpine that had 2x 5Ltr fuel tanks - spinning those small units around at every angle, was far easier as you can imagine compared to the fuel tank you have had to deal with.

Thanks for posting.

All the best.

Richard.
1968 Daimler V8-250 Saloon
DLOC East Sussex Branch Secretary
DLOC 2.5L V8 & V8-250 Registrar - https://www.dloc.org.uk/v8-250
DLOC 2024 International Rally - https://www.dloc.org.uk/rally-2024