Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Ignition light .

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
Graham

Ignition light .

Post by Graham »

I have a problem, been away on holiday, when I got back I I fitted a new battery, started the car, but then could not stop it with the key, the ignition light stopped on even when I took the key out, I tested the switch with a meter and it seems ok. Has anyone had this happen before or knows what the problem could be please. Getting 13.8v at the switch side of the coil with switch turned of and on .

Graham

Re: Ignition light .

Post by Graham »

Oops typing error, that should be 10.8 volts and coil resistance is 20 ohms could the coil be the fault?

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Norfolk Lad »

Think i had a car which this happened found the regulator contacts stuck together released them and it returned to normal, guess it may keep running from charge on dynamo.
Worth a look may help .Peter

Graham

Post by Graham »

Thanks peter. I had a new gizmo regulator and did away with the old one, but it could be the new one. I’ve ordered a new coil for starters, disconnected the dynamo and the light of course went out, but the oil light remained on, with ignition turned off. Electrics are my weak spot

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Norfolk Lad »

Graham if the switch is off no power should be at the coil , so think you may have a switch fault if the coil is always live off or on that is why it kept running.
Peter

Graham

Post by Graham »

Hopefully sorted now Peter. A wire had come out of the terminal blocks and touching one of the others. No idea how this happened as I have never had the fuse lid off for months. Anyway all sorted now . Thanks for your replies Peter.

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Norfolk Lad »

Well done Graham the good news is has not cost a fortune ,unlike our modern cars which are getting scrapped because of electric problems they can not solve.

Peter

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Well done Graham, the old adage look for the simple first worked.

Talking about electrics in moderns, my Daughters 13 plate VW Passat diesel has just thrown a wobbly, several lights became illuminated on the dash, anti lock brake, auto brake, power steering and anti skid. Clear as mud you would say but that indicates low battery voltage. Measured it with my trusty Avo and it showed 11.9 volts at the battery so yes it is low.

Checking for charging is quite an art as it turns out, the car has an AGM Battery. Never heard of such a thing, checked on Google to find that it is a battery specially designed for cars with eco systems and it has special characteristics meaning you can't just measure the voltage to see if it is healthy, you need an AGM battery tester. Worse still, VW garage is quoting £222 for an original replacement and you have to book into the service dept to get the battery tested, they have to fit it because there is a special way of setting the ECU to cope with the new battery if one is needed.

Went to my friendly garage and they test it for free and proved it was fine but needed charging. Helpful harry says, not uncommon these days, is she commuting short distances daily? Yep, then the special charging system will not have caught up. You need a trickle charger or special AGM battery charger to get it back into shape, will take quite a few hours, don't be tempted to clip any old charger on it will cook the battery, has to be a regulated charger. Either that or switch off auto lighting and auto start and drive it at least 100 miles in day light without stopping. By the way, when you have charged it, you need to take it to VW garage to get the lights reset.

Out of interest Euro parts wanted £357 for a Bosch replacement battery, Halfords wanted £157 for their own brand and a local factor wanted £187 for a Vartar. VW agent was not bad at £222 for Vartar original fitted and ecu reset.

Before anyone says it, I gather you can fit a standard, what we call lead acid but is now called a flood battery for around £80-90 and fleabay sellers sell AGM batteries at about the same price and flood versions for £60 ish. Frankly at those sort of prices and given the batteries do not last the better the battery the safer, and of course you can't just slop in a new one.

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Think I’ll stick with my 2003 MG ZS, and the 1937 Lanchester thank-you !!

Cheers Al 😊😊