Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Disposal of waste coolant, oil or petrol

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance

How do you dispose of waste oil, coolant or petrol?

In a hole in the ground
No votes
On the ground
9%
At the council waste depot
82%
Down the WC or sink
No votes
Pour it into the road gutter
No votes
Drink it
No votes
Other method (describe below)
9%

Total votes: 11

NickDeAth
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: Disposal of waste coolant, oil or petrol

Post by NickDeAth »

I am fortunate to work in a workshop that has proper waste oil etc disposal facilities. My governors probably wouldn't like it if they knew, it costs a fortune to dispose of hazardous waste these days and all these fluids are considered hazardous.

Nick
"Nick - do you think you will ever put that old car back together again?"

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Chris_R »

One of my cars is a Land Rover. I don't have any waste coolant or oil to dispose of. It continuously drips it along the road and I continuously refill it at the top to make up for the loss thus creating a permanent renewing effect in the engine. Problem solved! :lol: :lol: :lol:

P.S. I am just joking of course. It goes into old oil cans and recycled at the local recycling centre.

New Dexter
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by New Dexter »

Many years ago Adrian Hanwell suggested a good method for treating wooden fence posts. A mixture of creosote, old engine oil and he might have suggested some white spirit too. Fill an old dustbin or similarly deep container with as much as possible and stand the posts in this mixture for as long as possible. Another trick was to drill a hole diagonally down into the post above the ground level. Take an old washing up bottle, fit the nose end with a length of hose, insert that into the hole and tie the bottle to the post with cable ties or string. Cut the bottom off the bottle, fill with the same liquid, cover with cling film and fix with an elastic band. Gosh the things one posts on a car forum....