Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Drilling stainless steel.

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
New Dexter
Wise Man
Wise Man

Drilling stainless steel.

Post by New Dexter »

I have a sheet of stainless steel that needs to have several 5mm holes drilled through it. Is there a special drill bit that one needs? I have tried punching a hole to stop the drill bits from wandering about but when I have used a small, 2mm bit that proved difficult to drill and then. when I tried to graduate to the 5mm drill bit there was sufficient heat for the metal to glow red.
I have tried sharpening the drill bits several times but I was wondering whether another sort of drill bit was necessary

Petelang
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: Drilling stainless steel.

Post by Petelang »

Cobalt drill bits. You also need a cutting fluid if you expect them to last. Stainless can be very hard and a drill bit work hardens it further.
Peter
Peter Langridge
Cloud Nine Classic Weddings, Nottingham.

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Norfolk Lad »

Speed is main problem use a very slow speed one you can count the revolutions and put some pressure on according to size, never have a problem with cobalt drill bit and cutting fluid .
As said by Peter will harden so hence slow use same method using special blade in jigsaw to cut it .
Peter

New Dexter
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by New Dexter »

Thank you Gentlemen. I shall buy some cobalt drills and follow your advice for drilling.

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

You can drill stainless with ordinary high speed steel (HSS) drills.

Just make sure you keep a pressure on the drill as it cuts.

New Dexter
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by New Dexter »

I went to my fastener supplier and while he had a whole set of cobalt drills for £60 plus VAT he didn't have a 5mm one on its own. In the end he recommended a Dormer drill that one of his industrial customers specifies. Its code is A108 and he also suggested that I use a pillar drill. Now trying to hold a sheet 1000 x 200 is a little difficult but by setting the pillar drill to the slowest speed and using WD40 as a fluid I managed to drill all the holes quite easily, if a little slowly.
My thanks to those who commented.

KV8

Post by KV8 »

There are 2 categories of Stainless Steel. Austenitic which contains 10-20% Nickel and Chromium and Ferritic which contains around 10% Nickel only. Variants of these may contain other alloying elements. The former is more corrosion resistant but is generally softer.
So in for example a good set of cutlery the forks spoons and possibly the knife handles are made of Austenitic Stainless whereas the knives or at least blades will be made of Ferritic as the Austenitic cannot maintain a sharp cutting edge. Cheaper sets of cutlery are made from all Ferritic as it is cheaper due to lack of Chromium content.
You can tell the difference with a magnet as Austenitic is non magnetic but Ferritic is. It is quite interesting to go round your kitchen with a fridge magnet which if your fridge is stainless steel may not stick to it in the first place. :D
I trust this explanation in general terms is of interest as it may explain the difference in drilling, cutting, etc between two apparently similar Stainless Steel items.

H

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by daimlersteve »

A little trick from decades of doing this . Start off with Stubby ( double ended pop-rivet drills , they dont bend or break.,
Sop/start the drill with maximum pressure on it. Drilling paste or fluid.-- just a drop .
No problem at all , if the drill is at all hot it is compromised / buggered !!
Steve