Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

We buy any car carbaba.co.uk for dates of keeper change

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

We buy any car carbaba.co.uk for dates of keeper change

Post by Brian-H »

[following this topic viewtopic.php?f=29&t=5840 ]

Yep it's reassuring to know the dates of keeper change.
You can do it with most cars, on a website which I only found out about a few months ago.

It looks like a dodgy sort of "we buy any car" website https://www.carbaba.co.uk/ but I've checked 25 cars of which I personally know some of the history, and all 25 had the right dates, and I've had no problems when using the site.

All you do is put in the car reg, put in any mileage (I used 80,000 on all the cars I checked, including an early Suzuki car that belonged to my mother and had only done 35k miles when sold).

Then click on "value my car", and then when the new page comes up, just scroll down and you'll find quite a bit of useful info. On the car you're looking for it says "imported" but that could be an error based on the fact that the car was manufactured in 1940 but wasn't registered on a V5 until 13-07-1988.

What intrigues me is where the website got all the data.

PS note that if you check more than about 10 cars it then stops you checking any more, so I used a VPN to carry on.

Lewis_DB18

Re: We buy any car carbaba.co.uk

Post by Lewis_DB18 »

Brian-H wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:56 pm Yep it's reassuring to know the dates of keeper change.
You can do it with most cars, on a website which I only found out about a few months ago.

It looks like a dodgy sort of "we buy any car" website https://www.carbaba.co.uk/ but I've checked 25 cars of which I personally know some of the history, and all 25 had the right dates, and I've had no problems when using the site.

All you do is put in the car reg, put in any mileage (I used 80,000 on all the cars I checked, including an early Suzuki car that belonged to my mother and had only done 35k miles when sold).

Then click on "value my car", and then when the new page comes up, just scroll down and you'll find quite a bit of useful info. On the car you're looking for it says "imported" but that could be an error based on the fact that the car was manufactured in 1940 but wasn't registered on a V5 until 13-07-1988.

What intrigues me is where the website got all the data.

PS note that if you check more than about 10 cars it then stops you checking any more, so I used a VPN to carry on.
Unfortunately, I just get this screen :?

Indeed wonder where the data is from maybe similar to the ones people pay for car background checks but again not sure where that data is from.

Maybe i need to use a VPN to reset it however it would be a useful website if I can get it to work that it is

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Post by Brian-H »

^ that is indeed the screen that you get when you've used up all of the "quota" that it allows.
In the FB-Group where I found the reference, another person also said that it didn't work.

So it might depend on the IP address that you're using from the start, or the browser you're using (I use Firefox and Edge and they both work), or ISP/domain, or maybe a firewall/router issue. Blockers in the browser don't seem to stop it from working.

If anyone cannot get it to work and wants me to check for them, email/PM to me the reg and I'll send back some screenshots

Lewis_DB18

Post by Lewis_DB18 »

Brian-H wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:49 am ^ that is indeed the screen that you get when you've used up all of the "quota" that it allows.
In the FB-Group where I found the reference, another person also said that it didn't work.

So it might depend on the IP address that you're using from the start, or the browser you're using (I use Firefox and Edge and they both work), or ISP/domain, or maybe a firewall/router issue. Blockers in the browser don't seem to stop it from working.

If anyone cannot get it to work and wants me to check for them, email/PM to me the reg and I'll send back some screenshots
I see , Will have to have a play around with it then on VPN and browsers and see if i can get it to work

Thanks for the heads up on the site !

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

We buy any car website carbaba.co.uk

Post by Brian-H »

This is the start screen
carbaba.jpg

Here are the most relevant sections of the new page that comes up after entering reg and a (random) mileage
frr109_1.jpg
frr109_2.jpg
frr109_3.jpg
As I say, the "imported" must be an error, possibly due to the car manufactured date being 1940 but the first registered date is 13-07-1988, which is after the compulsory V5 registration in 1983 of all cars that existed. Whoever owned the car in 1988 may have had the original buff-coloured logbook to be able to convince DVLA, and if so, that original logbook may hopefully still exist.

Note that I've even tried the website from Holland (using a VPN) and it works ok. Currently using Edge with no blockers, but it also works with Firefox with many blockers. Might be platform dependent ? (I'm using Windows 8.1)

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

This posting is drifting off subject but I have to say Car Baba is an interesting site. I had no difficulty finding it and getting details of one of my cars. Interesting to find it shows three owners in the four years before I got it, I have had it 15 years, the chap I got it from said he had it for several years but Car Baba say he had it for 10 months, perhaps he moved and they count change of address as a change of owner?

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Post by Brian-H »

It is drifting off topic and I did think of starting a new thread at some point earlier in the thread. I'm wondering whether John-B can do it but I can't see where to make a clean cut ?

Anyway I'm not sure about changes of address , I guess it all depends on whether DVLA stores changes of address and if so how they store it, and then whether this website gets that data and misinterprets it. IIRC a couple of the cars I've checked did involve a change of address during my ownership and those address changes didn't come up. But that's not conclusive proof, either way it goes to show what you can find out.

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Re: We buy any car carbaba.co.uk for dates of keeper change

Post by Brian-H »

(thread is better as its own thread, good work).

One other thought, in 2004 my father bought a new car for his use but, for some reason that I can't remember, registered it in my mother's name and then registered it in his name in 2006. Both lived at same address, and the 2006 change is recorded as change of keeper and the dates are all correct for that car (the 2014 and 2015 changes are relatives, different names different addresses). The image below was taken several weeks ago (I've removed car-reg and engine number from the original).
carbaba_04_alto.jpg

So same name with new address would not be change of keeper.
But a different name even at same address is recorded as change of keeper (unless, maybe, name is changed by deed poll ?)

The reason is that the registered keeper, which is primarily a named driver residing somewhere, is the person responsible for car tax (VED) etc, and it is that person who gets the fine(s) and point(s) if everything is not in order. Makes you wonder what address a member of the "travelling community" would use.

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

If you Google "Car Tax" it comes up with a site which allows to to see if a car is taxed - which in turn gives the D.F.R. and current MOT status.

It also tells you the last time a V5c registration document was issued - which is a positive indicator of when the car probably last changed hands. However, the "last V5c issued" date does not go further back than 2012.

Also, you can view the MOT history of a car by Googling (yes you've guessed it!) MOT history!

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Post by Brian-H »

Googling those can bring up some sites where you have to pay, the only ones recommended to use are the standard (and free) .gov sites

Car tax (VED) https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/

Car MOT history https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/

But neither of those give the number of former keepers, let alone the history of keeper changes and dates as far back as 1983. Another example is a 1973 Triumph 1500 FWD which my father bought in Oct 1997, then I used it from Feb 2004 then it went back into his name in May 2005 and he sold it in Sep 2005, after which it appears to have changed hands a few more times.
carbaba_1500FWD.jpg
By checking the recent MOT history, in 2015 it required lot of welding, but the car is still going with regular MOTs since then.

You can get this information from other sites but you have to pay, and I wouldn't be surprised if this carbaba site may eventually stop people from using it without at least registering, maybe even paying. I've made the most of it anyway.

One other thing to bear in mind is that the registered keeper is not necessarily the owner, as anyone who's watched "can't pay, we'll take it away" will have seen (where they threaten to take a car away and when shown the V5c in someone else's name they correctly say that V5c is not proof of ownership).

IMO before buying a 2nd hand car it's always best to check all 3 sites - the two .gov sites and this carbaba site (at least, until they start to charge).