Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Water Fuel VW testing

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Water Fuel VW testing

Post by Norfolk Lad »

Sorry to say as yet testing has failed a mate who should have known better did this Christmas eve , gave me a job for the New Year a engine change with my brothers help.
Attachments
vw engine.jpg

simonp
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Water Fuel VW testing

Post by simonp »

Looks like a hole in the block. Was this frost damage? Not sure about VW fuel and testing?!!!

SimonP
Daimler SP 250 - "To feel its eager response as you open up is to know a new motoring adventure"(Sales brochure) The adventure continues!

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Norfolk Lad »

Simon , what you can see is a 3/8 socket bar the chrome rod at base of the hole this is there to support what is the damaged conrod, which is the H looking section above the bar this turns freely hence the support.
This is a VW Diesel caddy van engine driven into flood water so the air intake sucked the water in, result a big bang and holes appear both sides of the block. There is more damage as engine will not turn but the bigend spins freely on the crank, he was revving engine so water did not enter the exhaust guess he knows now not to try again.

Peter

simonp
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by simonp »

A perennial problem with turbo diesels. A friend of mine lost his Rover 75 in similar circumstances. I don't think this issue is very commonly known and should have some public information. Also I have found very little wade info online.

SimonP
Daimler SP 250 - "To feel its eager response as you open up is to know a new motoring adventure"(Sales brochure) The adventure continues!

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Norfolk Lad »

This was a 2ltr non turbo unit which has a lot less bhp then the turbo version and they did fit some in the Golf, not sure why they built the two engines but have known a turbo version that survived and still running.
Just removed heater plugs pumped out the water then the heater plugs replaced and the engine started .