Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

disc protectors/splash guards/splash shields

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Re: disc protectors/splash guards/splash shields

Post by Brian-H »

JT7196 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:33 pm Hi , I was under the impression that Lanchester was the first vehicle fitted with Disc Brakes in 1904 !
Indeed that's what both of the Google book excerpts, and the other Hemmings article, all say (patented 1902)
The Hemmings article concludes - "there's little doubt that Lanchester deservedly gets to be crowned king."

Christopher Storey
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Christopher Storey »

Brian H

Thank you for putting me right on this

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Post by Brian-H »

Well I'm not saying that your critique of the diagrams is wrong Christopher, I myself said "Assuming that these diagrams are correct". I don't know if they're correct because when I looked into it all 5 years ago, that was the only source of Jag brakes diagrams that I found, so I couldn't corroborate them. Note that it was easier to find multiple sources for brakes diagrams for other marques.

The problem is that the more I dug into disc brakes and shields on various marques, it just gave more questions than answers.
There are several proposed reasons for brake designers fitting shields (and maybe each brake design company has a different ethos)

1. to direct air cooling over the disc and pads
- if this is true then I'd expect to find them more prevalent on the front, yet they're more prevalent on the back

2. to protect driveshaft gaiters from heat
- this is more plausible, yet many FWD cars seem to only fit them on the back

3. to protect driveshaft gaiters from a vortex of water/grime/dust from brake pads
- this is also more plausible, yet many FWD cars seem to only fit them on the back

4. to lessen the amount of grime and particles accumulating on discs/callipers
- again, if true, then why are they more prevalent on the back only, and if 1. is true then they actually bring more road grime onto the discs/callipers

5. to prevent disc warping when driving through puddles
- it's rare to be driving through puddles without a mist of rain also circulating round the discs, and if 1. is true then they actually cool too much in rain conditions

Then there's the issue of cars not having any at all. Does the Jag Mk 10 have no shields on either axle ?

Does the Daimler V8 250 have brakes more like the Jag Mk 10 (no shields at all) than the Jag Mk 2 (shields on the rear) ?

Christopher Storey
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Christopher Storey »

Brian ( and others ) - a few thoughts

1. I am sure there is no commonality between mark 10 and V8 on the rear brakes, because of course the mark 10 had the inboard rear discs within the irs cage

2. I cannot remember if my mark 10 had front shields

3. My V8/250 parts books show no shields either at front or rear, either in the drawings or in the parts descriptions themselves

4. The Daimler part nos for rear calipers etc are quite different from those for the Jaguar mark 2

5. A good source of exploded drawings is the SNG barrat catalogues for each car ( available on line )

All a bit strange as you say !

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Post by Brian-H »

That's useful info Christopher.

I didn't know that the Jag Mk 10 had inboard brakes on the Rear :o so that rules that car out as an example to compare Rear brake shields with other cars.

But it's still interesting that the Jag Mk 10 had no shields on the Front (presumably) but the Jag E-Type Series 3 did have them on the Front (according to Myton diagrams).

It's good to have confirmation that the Daimler V8 250 did not have shields on either axle - yet the Jag Mk 2 did have shields on the rear (according to Myton diagrams).

I have the SNG Barratt PDFs (for "Early", for E-Type 6-cyl, and for Mk2/V8) but, other than the E-Type S1 diagram showing handbrake mechanism, the SNG Barratt diagrams only show a disc and an exploded calliper - not the slightly more complete diagrams that Myton show.

Anyway yes, it's a bit strange as to why some cars have shields behind disc brakes, and some don't - right the way through from 50s/60s volume production cars to modern volume production cars - there is no logic to it.

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

Pause for breath, you guys, I think the issue is nearly exhausted.

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Post by Brian-H »

The inconsistency seems to apply not only to British cars, but German, French, and Jap as well. Fortunately, VOSA/DVSA don't see them as a necessary item to be there for the MOT test.

It's a mystery that's puzzled me since I first went down this particular rabbit hole 5 years ago, and I don't think that there's an answer out there - based on engineering, or logic, or otherwise 8-)