Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Car Covers... your suggestions or experiences

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
mikemillen

Car Covers... your suggestions or experiences

Post by mikemillen »

I am likely to become the new keeper of an LD10 shortly, but at the moment I don't have a garage to keep it in.
Until I find one to rent, it will have to sit on the driveway.

I plan on putting a cover over it to keep the rain off.
Can anyone recommend any particular brand?

As the shape of a Briggs-bodied Lanchester is rather different to a modern saloon, does anyone know how well a cover would fit?

All suggestions and comments gratefully received.

Mike

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Re: Car Covers... your suggestions or experiences

Post by Brian-H »

Speaking from experience many times, it depends on how long you intend to keep it under a car cover.

What I have found is that car covers themselves tend to be too thin and, long term, do let water through. A better bet is to use blankets and the largest, thickest, tarpaulin you can get hold of. Halfords used to do a good range of tarpaulins, very good quality at the time and reasonable price.

Either way, you'll need to tie it down as the wind will find a way of pulling and tearing whatever you get. The best way to tie it down is by using a couple of good quality bungee cords, and lots of washing line. One set round the cabin area, then another lot to anchor that lot to the wheels. If the cover/tarp is big enough, wrap that round the bumpers securely.

mikemillen

Post by mikemillen »

Brian-H wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:07 pm Speaking from experience many times, it depends on how long you intend to keep it under a car cover.

What I have found is that car covers themselves tend to be too thin and, long term, do let water through. A better bet is to use blankets and the largest, thickest, tarpaulin you can get hold of. Halfords used to do a good range of tarpaulins, very good quality at the time and reasonable price.
I hadn't thought about a tarpaulin... certainly a great deal cheaper than the purpose-made car covers.
For a long-term solution, I can see the advantages.

I'm rather hoping that this will be a short-term situation, and I'll find a garage for it soon.
Assuming that's the case, then the convenience of being able to quickly cover & uncover the car to give it some fettling or other TLC makes the cover look more attractive.

If I do opt for a car cover, I need to decide between a breathable and non-breathable version.
The non-breathables are very much cheaper, and if I only need it for a few weeks, maybe that would suffice.
I can see the benefits of a good quality, breathable cover, but is that so important over a short period?
Decisions, decisions...

Mike

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Mike, it all depends where you are and on where and how long you intend to keep your car outside. Over winter under a temporary cover even in a sheltered spot will take its toll what ever you do. I have tried tarps, and car covers, they only do if you have no option, the car will still deteriorate.

Even expensive car covers don't last avoid them. With the best will in the world tarps, if you live on the coast as I do or in a windy area, will flap and come loose in high wind no matter how well you tie them down. Long term they will leak. If you want access regularly to work on the car you will find it a real pain stripping them off and tying them down. I also found old blankets got wet what ever I did.

My best experience, (if your location lends itself to it), was with a marquee from Gala Marquees. Not cheap but often come up on fleabay and local facebook market place. Make sure it is well fixed down and it will stand up to gales. The sides fold back or roll up and you can work on the car in it they are easy to open up and close down in minutes. When you no longer need it, they sell easily, new parts are cheap and they do last well.

A friend used an agricultural polytunnel with a green cover intended for machinery. Not very pretty and you can't work in one easily, but seemed to weather well even in winter winds.

If you are going for a tarp, good agricultural merchants sell quality rick sheets that last well at good prices.

Hope that helps.
Syd

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Chris_R »

At different times I have used various car covers.
Avoid the Halfords covers and most other covers of that type and price band. They claim to be breathable, they are not. Your car will be wet under the cover and the damp will be trapped in there.
There are only two covers I would recommend. First would be an outdoor Carcoon. They completely enclose the car and are a bubble. They are a bit of a pain to get the car out of because you have to unzip the entire cover to lift it off and the zip is all the round at ground level. But they are excellent and very long lasting.
The second cover I would recommend would be a folding garage. But here again you have to be very careful as the material of the cover. Some use a PVC type cover and put vents in the side and claim it is breathable. They are not, you will get condensation inside dripping onto the car and it will not evaporate. On a warm day your car will get a nice humid steam bath. Before I bought a Carcoon I used one of these: http://www.cover-systems.co.uk/car-cove ... arages.htm and it was only replaced as after about 6 years the cover was wearing out. It worked very well. The one drawback of these is that leaves and other debris can blow in at the bottom and have a tendency to collect inside.
However, check carefully the shape of any cover as most are designed for the modern shape of car and not for the more square upright shape of yours. I suspect that the Carcoon will be the only one that would work properly for your shape of car.

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

There is another problem if you use car covers - at least over an extended time period - as they can concentrate sufficient heat to fry such components as the windsceen rubbers etc.

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Chris_R »

That problem does not happen with the Carcoon as it continually blows outside air into the Carcoon so the temperature inside will never be more (or certainly very little more) than the outside air temperature and there is no direct contact with the car.

mikemillen

Post by mikemillen »

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and experiences.

As I'm hoping to find a garage to rent quite soon, I can't justify spending a lot of money for temporary storage.
On the other hand, I must ensure that the car doesn't suffer in any way, for any reason.

I have decided to buy one of these: https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke- ... rage---da/
It looks to be eminently practical and very good value.
The LD10 should fit in there quite nicely.

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Post by Brian-H »

That looks a very good solution all round

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Yes I too have looked at these and they look pretty good, unfortunately for me I do not have sufficient space to erect it 😕😕😕

Cheers Al 👍👍