Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Battery problem

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
migray
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: Battery problem

Post by migray »

There is an interesting video on Youtube of James May complaining about batteries on his Tesla.
There are 2, the big one for driving and a normal 12v battery for all the ancillaries. During lockdown he didn't use the car for a while. The charger kept the big battery charged but the one under the bonnet gradually lost its charge as the charger doesn't directly charge this when the main battery is charged. However with a flat 12v battery he couldn't unlock the car, couldn't open the bonnet to access the battery and put a charger on it. Tesla informed him he would have to remove the inner wheel liner to access a mechanical catch to release the bonnet. He was not impressed! He has now put a remote cable he can connect to a charger in case it happens again.

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

Good morning Brian-H,

Ha -ha - youve kicked your ball into my garden, so let's get a few things straight.

Firstly, your contract for the purchase of the car is with the supplying dealer and nothing to do with the manufacturer - so they cannot hide behind saying Nissan must accept the fault as a warranty claim before they effect repair or replacement - and in any event, the warranty does not extinguish your rights under the Sale of Goods Act.

Depending on how long you have had the car, you could reject it completely or demand a loan car whilst the matter is sorted. Also, depending upon how you funded its purchase, there is a (slight) possibility you could involve the finance providers - especially if it is on some form of hire purchase arrangement.

Have trawl around the 'net to see what rights you have - and keep us posted.

Stan.

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Post by Brian-H »

Stan Thomas wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:44 am Good morning Brian-H,

Ha -ha - youve kicked your ball into my garden, so let's get a few things straight.

Firstly, your contract for the purchase of the car is with the supplying dealer and nothing to do with the manufacturer - so they cannot hide behind saying Nissan must accept the fault as a warranty claim before they effect repair or replacement - and in any event, the warranty does not extinguish your rights under the Sale of Goods Act.

Depending on how long you have had the car, you could reject it completely or demand a loan car whilst the matter is sorted. Also, depending upon how you funded its purchase, there is a (slight) possibility you could involve the finance providers - especially if it is on some form of hire purchase arrangement.

Have trawl around the 'net to see what rights you have - and keep us posted.

Stan.
Good afternoon Stanley

The Nissan X Trail which is the subject of this forum thread is not my car, it's David Barlow's. David started this forum thread about that car, so basically the theme of this forum thread is his matter.

My post in this forum thread on Fri Jun 25 2021 3:32 pm is a quote from a Qashqai forum, I was just quoting what someone else said in that Qashqai forum. The gist of that quote is that, in 2016 at least, Nissan also had an issue with the charging in the Qashqai, and as such it was meant to give David some assurance that his experience with his X Trail may not be unusual.

It's ambiguous as to whether your post is directed at me or at David. If your post is directed at me then best to join the Qashqai forum and raise the matter there. If your post is directed at David and his X Trail then I'll leave David to respond further.

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

My reply was in the overall gambit of the subject matter - intended to convey that dealers cannot hide behind the manufacturer - which applies from Zeppelins to pork pies.

Up until about the mid-sixties when you bought a car you signed away your rights under the Sale of Goods Act 1896 (yes! 1896) and accepted the terms of the warranty. That has now been changed out of all recognition, the biggest limitation to the rights of Joe Pubic being his or hers lack of knowledge as to what consumer protection they now have - and dealers often trade upon that ignorance.

When I worked on the shop floor it was not uncommon to keep extending the time we kept a car if the customer kept bringing it back for warranty work (whilst we often did rock-all to the car) until the customer eventually got fed up. AND that was at a Daimler dealearship!!