Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Does anyone know what this is?

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
JDB

Does anyone know what this is?

Post by JDB »

Hi all, myself and my brothers are currently restoring our late father's pre war Morris Minor (1934). I am stripping the body down and have recovered this pipe fitting from the rear of the car. It is pictured in both its dismantled state and as it is fixed to the car (the body skin would be sandwiched between the two halves). Also shown is the fitting in place, prior to removal and also highlighted in an early black and white photo, probably taken late 50s early 60s, soon after my dad got the car.
The question is, what is it? It was plainly redundant by the time my dad's ownership began, there are no associated fittings, interior or exterior and no obvious point for mounting something now missing. The interior directly behind it is the upper section of the boot space and I had wondered if some kind of alternative fuel tank for wartime use had been placed within the boot and that this was the inlet. Some mention of wartime radio cars has been made in other circles but nothing specific. Anyone got any ideas?
Cheers, John.
Attachments
SOGH4964.JPG
SGOG5936.JPG

JDB

Re: Does anyone know what this is?

Post by JDB »

boot hole.png

JDB

Post by JDB »

PAOX8500.JPG
Fitting is hole in top right of the boot's vertical panel.

Simon Hyslop

Post by Simon Hyslop »

I don't know the answer but I used to have a '34 Minor tourer and there used to be a really good owner's club for them but I'm not finding details of it just this minute. What I did find was this now archived website :

http://prewarminor.webeden.co.uk/milita ... 4531248834

although I'm sure you'll probably have come across it already but just in case, I thought it might be of use.

I did wonder if this might have been a fitting to have a rod go through to operate a two way petrol tap, possibly an extra tank in the storage area .

JDB

Post by JDB »

Thanks for the reply Simon, re Morris clubs, one of my brothers is on a few of the associated forums, which is where the ww2 radio car suggestion came from. Interestingly, my dad was a founder member of the Morris 8 tourers club which apparently went on to be the Morris register. One of his duties was judging concours competitions, which given his very “make do” attitude to car maintenance, must have been quite interesting; he thought shiny paint suggested over restoration!

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Post by Brian-H »

Maybe it had a coal gas conversion ?
https://teara.govt.nz/en/video/21458/co ... cars-1940s

JDB

Post by JDB »

We may have an answer, my brother received the following image:
Attachments
475B981C-BD65-44BA-ACFA-CCBB9B5F3290.jpeg

JDB

Post by JDB »

A number plate mounting, slightly more mundane than I was anticipating

Simon Hyslop

Post by Simon Hyslop »

I take it that the smaller piece went on top of and into the number plate, securing it ; the hole then allowing for the electric cable to pass through the casting to the light, only one being required. Rather clever. It'll be like licence disc holders in the future, an arrangement that time will have forgotten.