Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Newbie question about the DLOC rally for 2021

Ask the organiser or check a website to see if an event is cancelled or postponed.
alex_gray255

Newbie question about the DLOC rally for 2021

Post by alex_gray255 »

Hi Folks!

I'm a recent member of the DLOC club with a 1937 Lanchester and I have a quick question about the
DLOC Rally if I may...

Although I do have a running Lanchester LA14, the old gal is over 87 years old and just been freshly restored, so I
am still trying to run the kinks out of her.

In short, I do not feel confident on taking her on a 4hr trip from where I live up to York (motorway or major road
travelling) - both for her sake and mine (I've only been out in her a few times and still not pushed her yet). As such,
is it absolutely necessary to bring a "DLOC" car along to the event or can I bring something else - old and British, but
not pushing pensioner age+? Maybe a 30 yr old Lotus for example or a 40 yr old TVR?

I would like to go, but not kill my Lanchester in the process :lol:

Thanks! Alex

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: Newbie question about the DLOC rally for 2021

Post by Sydsmith »

Hi Alex. Years ago I finished a nut and bolt, bare metal 18 month rebuild late on a Thursday night, the car took its first trip on a public road for over 50 years for an MOT on the Friday morning. It was driven by a friend the next day to take me and my Daughter to her wedding, then the bride and groom to the reception, about 12 miles in all. The car, a 1937 Austin 18 York, had done just three miles to the MOT station and back after the restoration.

I used the car at every opportunity for the next four months, shopping and short trips about 400 miles. It then did a local wedding with me at the wheel. Two months later I took it 180 miles to my sons wedding in Ashby. 12 miles from home, it spat out its coolant, fortunately as I approached a friends house. We allowed it to cool, removed what we assumed was a duff thermostat, refilled and I was off again. It behaved without a hitch for the next 160 odd miles and at the wedding, then on the 180 miles home.

Though it rained and the windscreen leaked, the drive back from Ashby was a real joy. I used the same route both ways, A5, A42, M42, M54, A5 again then the A44, so single carriageway, dual carriageway and motorway. Motorway and duel carriageway were no problem cruising along at 45-50, but I did hold up moderns on the single carriageways A5 and A44, but no more than a large commercial vehicle would have done.

My advice to you is that you have a great and capable car, if it has been properly restored it will be more than capable of the run. You have many months before York. Drive the car at every opportunity and you will gain confidence, even shopping is a a joy in an old car, get some 20-30 mile run outs under your belt and don't worry about the larger roads, they are the least of your worries. Always give yourself plenty of time, get AA or other recovery cover and avoid the busy periods.

Above all, it is your road, don't let the boy racers, white van man or others harass or push you into driving faster than the car and you are comfortable with. Go for it. Syd

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Post by A.N.Other »

Hello Alex,
As an ex owner of four Daimler’s and an ex member of the DLOC I am definitely gate crashing with my 1935 AC.
So if your a member with a car but you turn up in something, that I would say is very interesting, then my experience of the members from old, I think they would be pleased to see you.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

Borrow a 4x4 and a trailer and park it just round the corner from the venue and drive your Lanchester the final hundred yards! :D I wouldn't be surprised if other cars will be trailered there.

As others have said, confidence in your car is the issue! I reckon that if my car starts easily, revs smoothly and appears trouble-free, then I'm 99% sure it will keep going. The most likely events are a puncture or a broken fan belt, so take a jack, pump, tools and a fan belt - and some coolant.

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Chris_R »

Generally the old adage is that you will do more damage in terms of wear in the first 5 miles than you will in the next 500 miles. It's all about confidence in your car and confidence in the work that's been done on it. Incidents like the stuck thermostat are generally rare. I agree with the previous sentiment, get the car out and use it regularly, not just 5 miles down the road and back but longer trips out 30, 40 and 50 miles each way. Once you've got a few of those under your belt you will get to know the car much better, get to know how it performs in all sorts of road types and find that your 4 hour trip will not be so daunting. I'm not very familiar with that part of the country but also consider an alternative more backroads route instead of major routes. They may take longer but may also be less stressful if you are concerned about the speed of traffic, and they might be also more interesting. Plan the route with a good stop for lunch on the way. Driving that distance is quite achievable and done properly you wouldn't strain the car, but you do have to think differently to simply doing it in a more modern car.
My Daimler is not yet on the road but I also have a Jensen Interceptor. In the past I have driven that almost 600 miles in a single day in Switzerland, Italy and France. That's more in a day than some do in a year. I have also taken it to Prague and back covering 2,500 miles in 16 days.
It's about confidence and you can only get that through use. I would also suggest that if you use an alternative car, that when you get there you will look at other cars and spend the weekend regretting not trying to bring the Lanchester. And plan B would be breakdown cover with recovery, in the event of the worst happening, get it trailered home and set off again in something else.

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Post by A.N.Other »

Chris R is right in what he says about getting some breakdown cover and regret once there if not in a relevant car.
It may be worthwhile getting some quotes from your insurer as well as the usual suspects but do shop around.
The other thing is to cover the basics, spare fluids and ignition components, basic tools and puncture stuff.
All the other components should be in good running order and checked over before general running is considered anyway.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

Hello Alex
The answer to your question is Yes of course you can come in anything you want. ( I can say that with authority as I make the rules 😃)
But the general opinion holds true, be brave.
Last year, a member drove his 1938 Lanchester 14 from Devon to the rally in Scotland and I hope he won’t mind me telling you that he is in his eighties!
I used to worry about my car failing but then I went over to the Australian Daimler Rally in 2018 and saw those members doing huge distances in their cars, one did 2250km each way in a 1935 car. Don’t you worry about breakdowns I asked? His reply changed my view of using my own car forever “If something fails, then you fix it so it won’t fail again and then carry on”.
So later that year I took my 1949 DB18 from Cheshire to our rally in Arnhem on the Dutch/German border. In 2019 we took it to Spa in Belgium for the Classics weekend, came home and drove up to Scotland. Failures to proceed - none. The more you use it, the more reliable it becomes.
Use it as much as you can so you shake out any niggles and you’ll have a great time.
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

frenchy

Post by frenchy »

Why not attend a local rally held each year at Euston, near Thetford on the Suffolk Norfolk border.This rally usually occurs at the same time as the national rally.
We make every effort to make this a Daimler, Lanchester event also with at least 600 other vehicles all makes and models including steam, agricultral,motor cycles, tractors
horses, hounds etc. Two roadriders usually attend this event also with LA10,s LD10,s Sp250,s V8,s and other Daimler and Lanchester vehicles.It is a great day out in a
beautifull location. It is within a reasonable distance to test out your Roadrider. I will attend in my 1936 LA10 Mulliners saloon. The national rally at York is just a bit too
far, the car would be OK but the driver would struggle. A 200 mile round trip is about my limit with modern traffic.Other drivers do not seem to happy with my cruising speed
of 45mph. Give it some thought and look up Euston Rural Pastimes. Kind Regards Frenchy

alex_gray255

Post by alex_gray255 »

Great! Thanks for the answers. I'll see how the car goes as I need to use it before June anyway to shake out some issues. :lol: