Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Valves.

Marcel Renshaw
Man of Many Parts
Man of Many Parts

Valves.

Post by Marcel Renshaw »

I have a quantity of inlet and exhaust valves. Many of which are not identified.
If you have a sample to work from I might be able to supply what you need.
9431B29A-587E-4162-A19B-D55B11680320.jpeg

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Valves.

Post by Stan Thomas »

Hi Marcel,

I'm afraid your posting of those valve things really upset me, as it made me realise the shear pergatory having to be endured by most of my fellow Club Members condemed as they are to a life of grinding in valves, adjusting tappets, and pinging split collets across the workshop never to be seen again.

So as its Christmas, I thought I'd give you all a treat by showing you a picture of an engine which requires no maintenance at all - except for tipping oil into it two or three times a day.

A Merry Christmas to you all!
Attachments
DSCF1892.JPG

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

Wonderful.

Dinner is served.....
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Fossil »

Stan,

Just lovely; such a shame that the sleeve valve did not live on longer in road vehicles. So much less maintenance and adjustment to do.

They lasted longer in piston aero engines, I don't know why, do you? You don't happen to have a Bristol Centaurus as well perhaps?

Regards, and Happy 2020 to all when it arrives. Will we still be driving our old petrol fueled classics in 2029? Or will we have converted them all to run on hydrogen?

Fossil

mikemillen

Post by mikemillen »

Marcel Renshaw wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:44 pm I have a quantity of inlet and exhaust valves. Many of which are not identified.
If you have a sample to work from I might be able to supply what you need. 9431B29A-587E-4162-A19B-D55B11680320.jpeg
I know this post is a couple of years old, but I don't suppose you've disposed of all those valves yet. :-)

Would you, by any chance, have any LD10 exhaust valves, please?

If not, can you suggest anywhere that might have some?

Marcel Renshaw
Man of Many Parts
Man of Many Parts

Post by Marcel Renshaw »

I still have a large quantity of unidentified valves.
If you can send me sizes or a sample I will check.

mikemillen

Post by mikemillen »

Marcel... Simon Hyslop has posted that the exhaust valves are Traco 2218 (viewtopic.php?f=14&t=6535)

Tranco 2218 exhaust:
Head diameter 1 11/64" (29.765), stem diameter 8mm, stem length 4 13/32" (111.9188), EN52 steel.

I haven't been able to confirm those dimensions as I don't have my valves here to measure at the moment... they're with the cylinder head at H.T. Howard & Co. to have the guides sleeved.
However... a set of old exhaust valves came with my car have a 30.0 mm head, 8 mm stem and are 115.7 mm overall.
Unfortunately I can't guarantee that they are LD10 valves. :-(

Also, searching for Tranco 2218 on the Classic Engine Parts website brings up a vlave with different dimensions again, including a 7.84 mm stem diameter, so there are errors somewhere. :-(

I'll ask H.T. Howard to measure a valve for me on Monday and I'll pass on the dimensions to you.

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Db n j »

In old money, 8mm is 5/16, .

(Given the age I’d guess they were originally English sized)

So one mystery explained. I take it the old valves are no good?

mikemillen

Post by mikemillen »

Almost certainly 5/16" as you say, which is 7.9375 mm, still not 7.84 mm, but close.
Interestingly, the old valves that came in a box with the car have exactly 8 mm stems.

Howards told me that mine are worn... they could be re-used, but the new guide sleeves won't last as long, so I'd prefer new ones if I can find them.

mikemillen

Post by mikemillen »

The Tranco catalogue confirms the 8mm stem, so it appears that the CEP website is in error... assuming the Tranco one is accurate! :-)