Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Registration number archives

Car histories: owners, dates, etc. restorations, events visited, holidays, stories about the car, etc. plus statistics like numbers and models produced.
Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Registration number archives

Post by Stan Thomas »

I'm still trying to trace the origins of my 1931 sleeve valve - reputed to have been originally registered to "A titled person in Stoke-on-Trent".

Stoke Records were very helpful and I got back as far as 1957 - and the address was "The Mount" - and "The Mount" was Sir Oliver Lodge's home at Penkull. So I traced through the family tree to his great grandson, who lives in France. He readilly responded, but sadly only to say it was not one of his erstwhile family's cars, although he wished me luck in my search.

So I'm still searching, and wondering who the supplying dealer was and if they are still in existance, given such a luxury car would be bought by someone in an industrial area like Stoke. (Perhaps it was because no-one would notice the smoke!).

Anyone any ideas?

Stan.

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Db n j »

Hi Guys,

Just to update you on my research (so far)

I had arranged to go to see the Leeds Records yesterday, but had to cancel due to family matters. (hope to go next week)

I left a message with Sheffield Archive about the 1964 registration, and am patiently waiting for a reply

I have booked a search at JDHT (and paid my £6), so lets see what I get for my money.

One other interesting items was sent to me by Norfolk Lad - a copy of an advert from 1964 concerning the sale
of an immaculate FHC in London (looks like a private sale/address), so not sure how to proceed. The photo is
black and white, but could be our car as the shading matches the current colour scheme, but who know.

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Norfolk Lad »

barkerdaimler-64 (3).JPG

Hope this helps David

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Chris_R »

And this is the house mentioned in the advert:
92TheAvenue.jpg

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Norfolk Lad »

David's needle in a haystack could be nearly found as i have found 2 possible contacts we may get a result, all things seem to add up this could be a sad story with a happy ending for all i hope.

Peter

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

Mudie isn’t a common name and we do have a member of that name in the club.
I’ll put you in touch Dave.
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Db n j »

Guys just a quick update. Thanks to Peters geneology detective work, I have had contact with Dereks son David.

David inherited the car from his father in 1983, and sold it in 1991.

Since Derek had the car before 1964 it was in the same family for maybe 30 years.

I have promised to share history and restoration story, and David is going to see what he can unearth, including talking to His Aunts.

Great to have some pieces of the puzzle in place.

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Db n j »

Just wondered if DVLA historical records for vehicles after they were computerised in the 1970s ?

If so, how can they be accessed ?

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Norfolk Lad »

David if as in your case they were not recorded when Swansea became the place for all records i think about 1981 the reg numbers were lost. So you need to look at local area registration cards to trace your number as shown here in earlier postings, Sheffield or Leeds archives record departments unless you pay for the time of a researcher which might be available.

Peter

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Db n j »

Peter, that’s true for the old stuff, but David
Sold the car in 1991 , and the dealer I bought the car from in 2020 said he had a log book, but couldn’t find it.

(I want to confirm the owner from 1991 to
Say 2000)

It’s probable that although the car was off the road it would still have been registered at Swansea ??