Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Daimler Straight 8 1934 CPB111

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Daimler Straight 8 1934 CPB111

Post by Norfolk Lad »

Attachments
daimler straight 8 CPB111.jpg

Beat Weibel

Re: Daimler Straight 8 1934 CPB111

Post by Beat Weibel »

I think it is a wonderful but enormous car. At least I would need to extend my garage.

Like many other Straight 8 or Light Straight 8 it seems to have or at least have had an overheating problem.

My explanation is that the straight 8 engine is basically an extension to the famous Lanchester straight six poppet valve engine that replaced the Daimler sleeve valve engines after amalgamation of Lanchester into Daimler. However, the extension from 6 to 8 cylinders caused some temperature problems in particular for the last two cylincers. Maybe the water pump is not strong enough or the water ducts are too narrow or whatever.

Any other views about this?

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

The cylinder head and Holley Carb are modifications made by Lindsay Price in Queensland, Australia. They make an enormous difference. I've been in his and it's tremendously fast.
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

Peter Grant
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Peter Grant »

Hi Beat,

Lindsay may well have a lot to add to this but my understanding is that, apart from design issues with efficiency of the engine head the pre-war straight eight heads corrode over time and have now arrived at that age when welding repairs are not effective.
Lindsay has manufactured several new heads for these cars and has shipped these new heads all around the world.
So maybe the overheating is all to do with corrosion blocking waterways and the very little use these cars would have had in recent years?

Peter Grant