Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

1955 Conquest RYP 225 - any history known?

Car histories: owners, dates, etc. restorations, events visited, holidays, stories about the car, etc. plus statistics like numbers and models produced.
KennethBlanshard

1955 Conquest RYP 225 - any history known?

Post by KennethBlanshard »

I'm going to see 1955 Conquest Reg RYP 225 tomorrow, in Sussex. Any history known?

HenryC
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: 1955 Conquest RYP225 - any history known?

Post by HenryC »

Hello,

Nothing in the DLOC records I am afraid.
Cheers, Henry Curwen
Registrar for Conquest & Century Saloons (DJ250/1, DJ256/7, DJ260/1)

Conquest (Drop Head) Coupe DJ252

KennethBlanshard

Thanks Henry

Salmons
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Salmons »

I am thinking of getting a Conquest. How did you get on with the viewing.

Salmons

KennethBlanshard

Hi Salmons
Good is the short answer!
The car was on sale at Sussex Classics Ltd at Crawley Down, RH10 4HS.
Stewart (01342 712552) had it out on the road ready for me. He told me to take all the time I needed, and left me to get on with it.

I'm happy to say the description on https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1353206 was very fair. Stewart said he hasn't touched it - it is "exactly as he got it, from a DLOC member". I rated it very good inside and out, and it all looked very original. It has the original driver and maintenance manuals and good lot of history. According to the MoT's and receipts, it's averaged around 100 hundred miles a year since the 2017 interior retrim. It started easily and idled evenly while I checked the electrics. I enjoyed my solo test drive on an improvised route between Crawley Down and Copthorne, getting up to 45 easily on a short 50mph section.

Salmons
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Salmons »

Sounds good. Did you buy it??

Another Club member has told me that he thinks it was the same car for sale about three years ago and that at that time it had a problem with the gearbox. Presumably that was all sorted by the Club member that bought it.

Dennis

Salmons
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: 1955 Conquest RYP 225 - any history known?

Post by Salmons »

Hello Kenneth,

I am spoken to the garage selling the Conquest and they still have it for sale, so presumably you are not proceeding.

I would like to know why you did not proceed. Did you find a fault with it?

I would like to go down to see the car but will wait until you contact me as it a 178 miles from here.

Dennis

KennethBlanshard

No. I bought the ex-wedding car also advertised on carandclassic. Slightly less original, but a Mk ii, very solid. and just been bare metal resprayed to a high standard...
Now cancelled my Classic Car weekly, which covers the insurance!

Robert Burns

Post by Robert Burns »

Hi there Dennis and Kenneth
I bought this car on the 24th July
I had been eyeing it from USA where I currently live and moved forward on it when I saw it … it’s being stored by Stewart for me until the end of January.
I see Henry mentioned no history, yet seemingly it was owned by a DLOC member … I would love to talk to the previous DLOC member/owner if anyone knows him/her … otherwise maybe I should ask Stewart … he was a very helpful chap … Kenneth, did you find anything amiss with the gearbox when you took it on your run???
Best regards
Robert

ranald
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by ranald »

I hope I’ve not got this wrong but I think I remember it advertised in the DLOC magazine. Maybe a year back and being sold by the widow of the DLOC member. I don’t keep back copies so I can’t check. Maybe this will jog someone else’s memory. It’s always a shame when car’s story is lost. All the best, Ranald