Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Daimler 1936 Restoration project

bop

Daimler 1936 Restoration project

Post by bop »

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Daimler 1936 Restoration project

Post by Stan Thomas »

Not a bad price really, in this day and age.

However, I suppose one of the down-sides of classic cars (and especially motorcycles) - at least for the cars - is that we have long since past the point where they can realise more money broken for parts than sold as candidates for restoration - even down to breaking down to individual parts.

Try finding a complete motorcycle engine at an autojumble!!!

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

In the original listing the car sold for £2750. That seems to me to be cheap.

I have a similar car and really love the shape and the 30's feel of the car.

It was in similar condition to this one when I got it, I did a lot of work, before the lockdown. But they do seem to be marginally worth restoring they don't seem to make big money even when done.

My intention is Shabby Chic, but time will tell if this sells for a good price I may sell mine as well. Syd

captain bobo

Post by captain bobo »

It's a 1936 Daimler 15 Sports Saloon. I'm puzzled by the registration document stating engine capacity as 2107 cc. The Daimler 15 had 3 engines: 1805 cc for 1933 & 1934, 2003 cc for 1935, 2166 cc for 1936 onwards.

My car is the same model as the ebay car, namely a 1936 Sports Saloon. It has Girling mechanical brakes which are really efficient. The 2166 cc engine is really smooth. The regulator/cut out is unusual, it's a Lucas RJF 20: the regulator bobbin has double connections that are competed by an oscillating rod within the bobbin coil.

A quick look at the photos suggests the ebay car is pretty complete, it's missing the front bumper dumb bells and the rear bumper isn't shown. There are a couple of mods; twin horns and a dial mounted on the bulkhead in the engine bay.

All in all this could well be a very rewarding project for someone. I wonder what the winning bid will be!
Best wishes, Dave B

Simon Hyslop

Post by Simon Hyslop »

Rolls Royce used a very similar type of barrel regulator at this time. Fiennes do an exchange service on them although I can't say whether they are exactly the same size physically as the Lucas ones. Unfortunately, they do seem to fail quite often (another bit of a mid 30s blind alley, like the Startix system) . The most cost effective fix if they have given up is to install an RB106 or an RB 340 somewhere under the dashboard as it only requires the D and F wires from the dynamo connected to the new control Box, A to the ammeter, A1 to the ignition feed and E to an earth. All the other connections in the fuse/junction box can remain as they are if in decent order so it looks right under the bonnet. I'm just writing this in case anyone is looking for an option about what to do with one of these.

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Went for a respectable £3107 in the end with several chasing it so there is a market for such cars.

captain bobo

Post by captain bobo »

Well spotted Syd. I think someone got themselves a bargain at that price!

Good to see activity on cars like this, I hope the new owner joins the forum and has a successful restoration.
Best wishes, Dave B

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Thanks Dave as you say good to see some interest in cars of this type, four serious bidders.

I am having all sorts of thoughts about what to do with mine, they are such great looking cars and really I would dearly love to get it sorted and on the road, the restoration has ground to a halt and it is a shame to let it stand and deteriorate. It needs paint, rewiring and tyres, so a bit of investment plus the time.

May be next spring, but I said that last year, on the other hand, probably better to let it go to someone who has the time. But it will be a wrench to sell it. Decisions, decisions, Syd