Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Lanchester 14 1937 DHY 486

bop

Lanchester 14 1937 DHY 486

Post by bop »

Simon Hyslop

Re: Lanchester 14 1937 DHY 486

Post by Simon Hyslop »

It's to be hoped someone can take it on and rebuild it as the saloon it is. I appreciate that it can all be done and there are people with the skills to do so but I can't help thinking it might have been easier done if it had been dragged out of a shed 20 years ago rather than now. I presume that someone got so far and then fate took over in some form. Its worst fate would be to be turned into one of those hideous pseudo racing cars.

Cars like this remind me of a project I was involved with over 30 years ago. We were making a replica of the first steamboat, later exhibited at the Glasgow Garden Festival. We had a retired ship's engineer in charge of the works and I remember him saying to me that it would have been a lot easier if it had been done about twenty years before. So many firms had stopped making the right stuff available off the shelf and without our own pattern making and casting facilities it would have been extremely rather than very expensive.

Comparing this with the E20 recently auctioned by Mathewsons, it would indeed be a labour of love but hopefully someone has a nice empty garage to take it on.

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

But the value they put on these - let's face it - a wreck - is stupid. It will need £20,000 spending on it. It's completely gone.
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

Simon Hyslop

Post by Simon Hyslop »

You're absolutely right Graham. The problem is that too many people have "overkept" cars like these. They convinced themselves that the longer they kept them, the more they'd be worth. I had my first real experience of this in about 1986. I got to hear of a local car, a Lanchester 11 reg DSM 416.

The chap who had it had bought it on the death of the first owner, an old lady who had done 13000 miles with it from new. The car had been in a wooden garage since 1972 and inside it was like Tutankhamen's tomb. Everything you touched - wool, moquette etc turned to dust. He wanted £3000 for it and that was serious money then. I did , against my better judgement, eventually offer him £2500 but he said he'd sold it to someone in Edinburgh. That car has never ever resurfaced - unless someone knows differently ??

There was an optimum time to restore each "era" of car. It isn't that they can't be done outwith that period, it's just that it starts to cost so much more because the people who did it for a modest profit (if any) have all gone and the last replacement parts are now unobtanium. Unfortunately for restorers who have grown up with Wheeler Dealers, there are no retailers of exchange, good secondhand or reconditioned parts for 30s Lanchesters asking £100 but will let it go for £50 cash.

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi chaps, I have messaged the seller, and asked if he would contact the new owner and give him my contact details,
It’s very frustrating to see these cars pop up on EBay only to disappear into the Ether once more, I check my records to see if I can any previous owners .

Cheers Al