Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Lanchester LAII for auction 951UXE

Simon Hyslop

Re: Lanchester LAII for auction 951UXE

Post by Simon Hyslop »

Thanks Al, I''ll try and see what of the rear mountings can be acquired with the aid of the pictures. Yes, that's the pattern of door handle on this car. I find it hard to believe that the people designing the 11 didn't pick the handles from a catalogue on offer from one of the suppliers like Wilmot Breeden or the like. They're a world away from the Art Deco handles from the 35/36 season, almost Dan Dare-ish. Thanks for looking these out.

A little update, 22nd June. Wiring replaced, myriad of bits sorted but running and stopping. Ready for a road test but before anyone says "you can't use that number, yes, I know but I'm waiting on a new log book from the DVLA to send off to a number plate firm who have sold me a nice number very cheaply. So cheaply in fact that if anyone is thinking of selling a number off a car and thinking they'll do well out of it, think again. The amount it now devalues a car is by a lot and there seems to be a significant drop in demand for just initials. It looks like the younger generation is looking for words rather than just initials and random numbers.

I had one really puzzling thing with this car. From the condition of the nuts and bolts, screw heads and everything in general, very little of this car had ever been apart mechanically. On arrival, it didn't have much urge to it so of course inspection of the flywheel's contents was on the list. When I came to undo the filler plug, I realised I couldn't. There was an opening in the bellhousing but it left about half the brass plug covered. It wasn't possible to get a spanner or socket onto the hexagon, or a square into the socket because there wasn't room. Even if there had been room, the plug couldn't have been withdrawn. I ground out the shape required in the opening and once there was enough room out came the (perfect condition) plug and the flywheel needed a good topping up although it isn't showing any critical leaks at present. Was that how it left the factory? Are there others the same ? Do we dismiss too lightly the questions from owners who say "I am having difficulty with....." when we assume that there car is the way we expect it to be and they really do mean "I can't get access to ...."

Anyway, there it is. I decided today that as there aren't any shows I'd have a nearly pre war car show of my own. Well, actually the garages need a lot of tidying up after quite a few weeks of nonstop work. Next jobs, sort out the rattling new chains on the Austin and get back to rebuilding an RMA - only about 6 years now so I hope I haven't mislaid too many bits !
DSC00609a.JPG

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi Simon, having just read the Post that make a comment about the 2” square Box Section that is Welded ?? to the Chassis .
It should be held in place by a “U” shaped Bracket either end, this is also the main Jacking Point , I replaced that section during the restoration of my own “ Eleven” owing it being very rusty on the ends .
The Jack works very well , strange when looking at operation of the Jack, it looks as if the part that enters the Box Section has been fitted upside down , but actually it is the correct way round 👍👍

Cheers Al

Simon Hyslop

Post by Simon Hyslop »

Thanks Al, I am sure you are completely correct about the box section being clamped on. I must confess to sometimes trying to think of describing something like that in what I can only hope is a possibly humourous way when looked at from the perspectives of today - saving weight, cost, making things cheaper , greener etc. and the method of fixing, I have to confess, was not top of my mind in the "flow" of wordage. Whether lifting a side at once is a better idea than lifting a corner, albeit with the potential advantage of not having to kneel on the ground, I'm not sure about. I think I'll stick with raising a corner even though it's things like that which lead to me having a slight perpetual dishevelment.

Did I mention that I found the car's jack behind the back seat ? I was surprised to find it there as I thought I'd exhumed all the tools with the car but there it was, a Stevenson jack operated by the wheel brace with the end that fits into the box section.

I took it out on the road yesterday for the first time, not without a degree of trepidation bearing in mind the long period of non use. I was most pleasantly surprised. The coachwork was silent and everything worked as it should. The engine had a lot more go than the 1203cc cars and the carburettor seemed to be working as designed. I'd had the jets out of it and blown through as well as cleaning out the float chamber. I had thought it might show signs of problems when going up a hill from a near stop but it performed faultlessly and I was very pleased indeed. I shall look forward to repeating the experience and can only hope it continues this way. I suppose it shows just how good these must have been when new. Extremely enjoyable.

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi Simon, good to hear that you are pleased with your Lanchester, I like you enjoy driving mine, and yes, it’s a completely different driving experience compared with the LA10’s .
I use mine as often as I can, which includes “ Popping” down to the local shops, she always draws a lots of attention, and favourable comments .
3C8947BD-6346-47F6-A967-35F316F0F918.jpeg
Best wishes, Al

Simon Hyslop

Post by Simon Hyslop »

Here's a question for the cognoscenti. I have a spare dynamo for the car as well as an old and new water pump, the latter thanks to Mr. Renshaw. On taking the old pump off the dynamo, the remains of what must have been a coupling piece between the dynamo and the water pump fell out. They have the appearance of lignum vitae or a similar hard wood. I wondered if anyone had had to make these and what might have been found to be satisfactory?

I did make a replacement door wedge one night out of a piece of wood to see how it would turn out and it was ideal except I should have started out with a nice piece of suitable hardwood and made it from that from the start as it didn't last long in use so I'd rather not waste too much time making bits from really unsuitable material, so it's a sort of similar thought with this coupling on the water pump. All thoughts gratefully received although I have some l.v. on order.
DSC00611.JPG
DSC00611.JPG
Attachments
DSC00612.JPG

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi Simon, I have one in stock, drop me a line for price 👍

Cheers Al 😂👍

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi Simon, I have a Drive Dog for your Dynamo in stock.
Pm me 👍👍

Cheers Al

Simon Hyslop

Post by Simon Hyslop »

Thanks Al, for your kind offer. I've been busy the last few days so haven't been at the computer but one of the things I was doing was thinking about the coupling. I remembered that I had a length of 2" Delrin which I'd used to make an end cap for a magneto from and so after a few hours I have made a replacement. It's a nice tight fit on a seized old water pump I have and I just need to find where I've put the spare dynamo to check the other two slots but I think that'll do ok and I have enough material over to make some more if ever required.

It would seem mean of me to buy your one if you've just got one original left and someone who doesn't have the same resources as me to make one finds they need one desperately. I wonder if there are cars where the coupling will have broken and the water isn't being pumped round at all, probably leading to the radiator getting a bad name for being furred up !
DSC00623.JPG
DSC00624.JPG
DSC00625.JPG

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi Simon, no problem, I always appreciate people who can ”Self help” 😊😊👍👍.
I’m pretty certain that I have one made of Brass that someone has made, of course, if the Water Pump were to seize it could cause some further damage as it wouldn’t break like the original !!

Cheers Al