Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

A RARE 1939 LANCHESTER DE LUXE 14 HP ROAD RIDER

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

A RARE 1939 LANCHESTER DE LUXE 14 HP ROAD RIDER

Post by grahamemmett »

Well that's what the auctioneer thinks. However, it can't be a Roadrider and a DeLuxe.

Update: I am incorrect as it can be a Roadrider and DeLuxe - The original "Roadrider" ran on wire wheels, and was 1,527c.c. Retrospectively, some term this chassis the LA14/1. For the 1937 season, the "Roadrider De-Luxe" ( appeared, which was a completely different car to the earlier "Roadrider". These had the chassis designation LA14/2 (p/s transmission) or LA14/3 (syncro 'box). The engine was 1,809c.c. The cars were far more stylish than the earlier model.

Lot 517 (The Kentwell Hall Attic Sale, Sat, 17th Jul 2021)

https://bid.manderauctions.co.uk/auctio ... 8&pn=1&g=1
A rare 1939 Lanchester de Luxe 14 HP Road Rider with unique Wentworth Drop head Coupe body, reg GWB 992 4/5 seater. Affectionatley referred to as Coventry's answer to Rolls Royce. Bought new by a lady who used it until 1973 when it was put on blocks before being bought by Kentwell in 2001. Made to run and dresssed in applied World War II black-out grey livery and light dimmers by Alex Scott for Kentwell's WWII re-creations for show. Scarcely out of the garage since and not driven on the road so almost no mileage for twenty years and effectively not used for fifty years.

Buyer's premium: 12.00%
L17.jpg
Last edited by grahamemmett on Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

Petelang
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: A RARE 1939 LANCHESTER DE LUXE 14 HP ROAD RIDER

Post by Petelang »

Sat next to a Siddeley of 30s vintage.
Peter Langridge
Cloud Nine Classic Weddings, Nottingham.

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

Update from Chris Clark:
Good morning all,

I am sending this general email to those who I feel might themselves be interested or know someone else possibly interested in buying a pre-war Lanchester car at short notice and filmed for TV.

A TV production company will be at my home early this week to film all my Lanchester cars (1907-1953). This will act as a historical backdrop to an episode of a new TV series about peoples' treasures being re-discovered and going for auction. The car in question is a rare Lanchester LA 14hp Roadrider de Luxe, a 1939 Ranalah Coachwork drop-head coupe with 3-position hood; it is shown as car 530 in my Lanchester Legacy Volume 4: Census page 333. Pictures of the few similarly-rare Ranalah LA14s are shown in Lanchester Legacy Volume 4 (page 177 bottom right) and Volume 2 (pages 150, 151, 152). You will also see that mechanical and coachwork description recorded in Volume 2. For those not in the know, these LA14s are seriously good cars, with independent front suspension, a willing 1809 cc, 6-cylinder engine and much else.

The car does run but I believe it has not been on the road for some 50 years as it has been used as a war-time exhibit. It appears fairly good but no doubt it requires work. It will be auctioned this Tuesday in Suffolk. I am told that there will be no reserve on this or any of the other varied lots e.g. two grey Ferguson tractors. It just might be that as this auction notice is at such ridiculously short notice and also as the Lanchester has not been advertised properly, a bargain price might be had.

It seems the plan is that the buyer of the Lanchester at the auction will be filmed by the TV film crew after the auction, if the new owner agrees, which would then be shown on the TV episode.

If anyone is seriously interested in this news by all means email me for more info.

Regards, Chris.
www.Lanchesters.com
Northwich, Cheshire

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

Astonishing
C71CF54E-0678-498C-B5BE-55F71D6F3126.jpeg
Northwich, Cheshire