Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Daimler V8 Performance tuning - knowledge hub

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: Daimler V8 Performance tuning - knowledge hub

Post by daimlersteve »

Am progressing , new pushrods made , The longest of the many rockers i have are dressed and ready for modification, Pedestals are plugged and on the mill for shaft relocation. Another Cam at the Cam-grinders for profiling. Will get the cam on the Cam-Pro Analysis Center for a print out to compare the bare -cam- only with the "in -block " data.
Life here in NZ is as normal
Cheers

fredeuce

Post by fredeuce »

Steve,
I went through the exercise of the possibility of roller tappets in the Daimler a while back when I started the work on the mushroom tappets.
Widely available small block Chevrolet and small block Ford roller lifters were too large in diameter for the space between the cam lobes to work. Needs a roller lifter with an outside diameter of no more than 13/16".

That of course , as you point out means boring out the lifter bores considerably and re-bushing to suit. My machinist who made my mushroom tappets suggested making a new valley cover from a solid billet on a CNC milling machine. That was as far as the investigation of all of that went. The question of finding a suitable dimension roller lifter remains. This idea still remains in the back of my mind. Once I have had a chance to properly evaluate my custom mushroom tappets then depending on the outcome there the roller lifter option may come back to life. In the mean time the search for a suitable roller lifter continues.

Also Steve please check your message inbox.
Cheers,Fred

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by daimlersteve »

yep,
the size of readily available followers are all miles too big/long. I did find reference to a guy in the uk who had made some for the Triumph twin that could work . The article was ten years old. The thing is, there is a lot more meat in the Trump in that area. The inverse profile creates huge side loadings as it comes over the top so the housing has to be hard and solid ( Steel )and there is less than an Inch of width on the org. valley cover.
Aint gonna fit in there unless as you say a Billet valley is machined up without the undulating org. casting shape. The other restriction is that the roller radius has to be added to the Full-Lift dimension and that cuts drastically into the length that is available for the follower housing --- and still fit between the open gap in the Block Valley.
Pedestals done ,rockers tomorrow.
Regards Steve

fredeuce

Post by fredeuce »

Steve, I am curious about the modifications to your rocker arms and posts you have mentioned.

Any chance of posting some pictures about all of that? Curious to learn more about that.

Fred

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by daimlersteve »

no messages here Fred , Call me 7.00 pm your time sometime to discuss .
cheers

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by daimlersteve »

Rockers done , one beaten and bent for impact abuse testing , the others off to be crack-tested.
Another couple of sets of heads being welded to copy the Radical 2.8 version . A bit of jumping the gun here as i've not had the new mtr. on the Dyno as yet -- fairly confident it should work out though .
regards Steve

Feathers

Post by Feathers »

Hello All
I have recently acquired a fresh Daimler 4.5 that’s tied to a close ratio Jag four speed that will slip right in a Dart, headers, driveshaft and all. I have an early MGA 4.1 banjo rear end with a Quaife limited slip to bolt it to.
When I get a few projects done I would like to throw it in the racer to see what it can do. I think the suspension is tight enough. Any and all thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
John
Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg
4.jpg
fly wheel.jpg