Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Daimler V8 Performance tuning - knowledge hub

OttawaSP250

Re: Daimler V8 Performance tuning - knowledge hub

Post by OttawaSP250 »

Feathers wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:01 pm Hello All
Bought this in Nova Scotia, trailered her back to NY.
The only modification I did was getting the motor half polished. I’ll let you know how much faster she is after I get the other half polished.
This was the motor info I received from the guy who built the car, in his words:
Matching number motor, 12.4 to 1 with an 8500RPM red line, bored, new pistons, rings, & bearings, connecting rods are stock. The cam is Daimler but has had a regrind, it was done in California The Engine Builder was Paul Hewitt in Brockville Ontario. The lifters were all replaced, the engine also has all new valves and springs the heads were ported and polished. The headers were built by Ian Gibson the aluminum Flywheel by Ian Gibson. The starter was set up by Ian Gibson , and I believe he said it was from a ford V6 Capri , the water pump is stock , the engine has an external oil pump , it puts out about 80 lbs. of oil pressure at idle .There is an extra oil rail inside the engine to pour oil over the lifters and cam shaft , this work was done by Paul Hewitt, there is an external oil filter , the filter is from a standard Ford V8 . the Distributor is a stock one but has a Malory Cap. Hilborn mechanical fuel njection System, Paul Hewitt did the machining of the castings and Hilborn installed the components. In 1960 Hilborn cast 14 units and these were the only ones they got running. There are 2 fuel pumps, 1 electric, installed by Ian Gibson and one on the fan belt installed by Paul. There is a fuel reservoir in the engine bay built by Paul.
She does hall ass!
King Regards
John
John , Paul Hewitt would love to hear updates about the car and engine .

Hewitt Automotive Machine
2407 Lyn Rd.
Brockville ON K6V 5T3

(613) 342 - 3783

hewitt45@yahoo.com

Sonus

Post by Sonus »

Cam follower gallery with stock camshaft size and follower on the right hand side and 0.9" Ford Y-block followers and modified camshaft on the left.
image.png

Sonus

Post by Sonus »

3d printed inlet runners for fuel injection.
20210430_063111.jpg
Will have a plenum on top of the runners with throttle body

Sonus

Post by Sonus »

3d printed mock up inlet manifold for Weber IDF carburetors
20210523_111912.jpg

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by daimlersteve »

Nice one Sonus

Warsash 2

Post by Warsash 2 »

Hi
I was always told many years ago but I think it is good advice, If you are going to tune a car then you should start with the brakes, then the suspension, then the steering and finally do the engine. This advice does not include any racing requirements wanted by a particular track.
Hope this is useful
regards
Colin

Sonus

Post by Sonus »

Warsash 2 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:34 pm Hi
I was always told many years ago but I think it is good advice, If you are going to tune a car then you should start with the brakes, then the suspension, then the steering and finally do the engine. This advice does not include any racing requirements wanted by a particular track.
Hope this is useful
regards
Colin
I’ve already done some upgrading. Only the Daimler engine left ;)
4DA7B26D-8E85-4CB7-BBDA-A2E4140DF6B1.jpeg

Feathers

Post by Feathers »

OttawaSP250 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:25 pm
Feathers wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:01 pm Hello All
Bought this in Nova Scotia, trailered her back to NY.
The only modification I did was getting the motor half polished. I’ll let you know how much faster she is after I get the other half polished.
This was the motor info I received from the guy who built the car, in his words:
Matching number motor, 12.4 to 1 with an 8500RPM red line, bored, new pistons, rings, & bearings, connecting rods are stock. The cam is Daimler but has had a regrind, it was done in California The Engine Builder was Paul Hewitt in Brockville Ontario. The lifters were all replaced, the engine also has all new valves and springs the heads were ported and polished. The headers were built by Ian Gibson the aluminum Flywheel by Ian Gibson. The starter was set up by Ian Gibson , and I believe he said it was from a ford V6 Capri , the water pump is stock , the engine has an external oil pump , it puts out about 80 lbs. of oil pressure at idle .There is an extra oil rail inside the engine to pour oil over the lifters and cam shaft , this work was done by Paul Hewitt, there is an external oil filter , the filter is from a standard Ford V8 . the Distributor is a stock one but has a Malory Cap. Hilborn mechanical fuel njection System, Paul Hewitt did the machining of the castings and Hilborn installed the components. In 1960 Hilborn cast 14 units and these were the only ones they got running. There are 2 fuel pumps, 1 electric, installed by Ian Gibson and one on the fan belt installed by Paul. There is a fuel reservoir in the engine bay built by Paul.
She does hall ass!
King Regards
John
John , Paul Hewitt would love to hear updates about the car and engine .

Hewitt Automotive Machine
2407 Lyn Rd.
Brockville ON K6V 5T3

(613) 342 - 3783

hewitt45@yahoo.com
Thanks Steven. I would love to talk with Paul. Wish I looked sooner.

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by daimlersteve »

OK men ,
has anyone sorted a Roller Cam - Follower set-up on this engine . Would allow for some serious area under the curve without having to go long duration or valve lift over 0.410 " . The rockers get some mean angle on them with increased lift being so short . so am contemplating a conversion ( have a few spare valley covers floating about incl. one done in the States that has a set of flat tappets installed. )
Also , has anyone fitted a knock sensor for tuning purposes apart from on a dyno . Ie for on- road tune-setting up ?
Regards to all in this most strange of times
Steve

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by daimlersteve »

Well now ,
after a session with the measuring stick and a spot of research we wont bother with the roller followers, simply not enough room or metal there .
I have however sorted out an increased ratio rocker and by repositioning the shaft center line can get some more lift without increasing the full lift angle . Now out to 0.430" with a minimum sweep on the valve stem. The Re-design uses the "Mid - lift " method -- most commonly used the create maximum lift with minimum side loading on the stem
Sorted a method ( and made ) a conversion/adaption to a spherical plain ball to replace the Trunnion -- still using the std. lower arms. all good stuff .
Regards to all . S