Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Engine colour

keithj

Engine colour

Post by keithj »

So now the engine refurb project has started! The engine is out and will be stripped and the massive oil leak fixed as well as any other attention needed. One question to start with though, what colour would it have been painted at the factory? It seems to be painted silver now but I'm not sure if that is original? While I am not aiming for concourse it would be nice to have it as original as possible.

Christopher Storey
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: Engine colour

Post by Christopher Storey »

AFAIK block and manifolds were satin black and heads were natural alloy

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Ian Slade »

Correct Chris, and the inside of the crankcase is a dull red, though I have never come across any that still have any black manifolds, unlike the Jaguar XK engine Daimler didn't stove enamel their exhaust manifolds. There are some excellent spray cans now available in high temp paint, give the auto sprays a miss the woodburning stoves paints are cheaper and have better rust resistance.
Owner since the 70's, Genghis is slightly to my left.

keithj

Post by keithj »

Thanks for the info. The plan is to go for black for the block and exhaust manifold and silver / polished aluminium for the inlet manifold heads etc. Hopefully will look as good as it goes !!

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Ian Slade »

The inlet manifold was black as standard, though I have seen a few painted red as it looks good against the shiny carbs and rocker covers, sort of across the pond bling favoured in the hot rod era :D
Owner since the 70's, Genghis is slightly to my left.

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by tjt77 »

inside of block :- bare castings were painted with a common industrial paint used to prevent corrosion.. commonly known as 'red lead' .. machining removed it from the pertinent surfaces leaving the larger unmachined areas still covered.. any decent modern 'etch primer' will replace it after the old coating has been boiled out in a hot tank etc.. I recommend the readily available 'self etching primer' by 'Dupli Color' in rattle cans (Aerosol) Its extremely durable and impervious to rust.. Approx 1/2 can will do all the surfaces of a small turner V8.. be sure to mask off areas you dont want painted ..