Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

SP 252

Ozzsp250

Re: SP 252

Post by Ozzsp250 »

From listing.
SP252.JPG

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Db n j »

By coincidence, I came across an article in the Driving Member from 1968, which mentioned that the car had recently changed hands for £750 pounds.

It’s a big IF, but should it make 6 figures, would have been a good investment

In my view rarety and uniqueness is a desirable attribute, but that’s just me. I would love this car for that reason, but not at that price.

Brooksy

Post by Brooksy »

The following is from a Facebook post by the current owner of the 252.........

"Geoff Gammon Hi, I have had so many messages about the Daimler SP252 I thought it best to consolidate some of the history. When Jaguar bought Daimler in 1960 Sir William Lyon’s designed the SP252 because the soon to be released E Type was all Malcolm Sayers design. Norman Dewis told me Sir William was a little jaded that the E Type was the first car that he had no real input in overall body design, hence the SP252! It never went into production because of the imminent launch of the E Type and because of the time and effort going into the planned Jaguar XJ6 Saloon. William Heynes, Grandson of “Bill Heynes” Jaguar Chief Engineer in the glorious 1950’s era of Le Mans wins, told me his Grandfather told test drivers to destroy the Edward Turner V8, 2.5 and 4.5 engines by holding them in low gears, in an effort to protect his Jaguar XK engine. Norman Dewis confirmed this to me when I had the great pleasure of meeting him. The SP252 has been compared to MGB’s and Sunbeam Alpines, my response to this is Sir William did this design long before they appeared. In the flesh it has resemblances to some Ferrari and Aston Martin models. The fibreglass body means its power to weight ratio is excellent via its 4 speed manual gearbox. The exhaust note is stunning! It was originally maroon and a previous owner many years ago had it re-sprayed in a matching colour but metallic. It is the only survivor of 2 bodies and 3 chassis’ ever built, chassis no. 10005. A one off Jaguar Pirana sold in Monterey in August 2019 it made $324,000 and had no direct input from Sir William. It has been described as “a missing link in Jaguar history.” The car has always changed hands by word of mouth, privately. If it were to go to a Global Auction House who knows what it would fetch? But, my Cousin Kevin and I want it to go to an ardent “Classic Car Enthusiast”, we see no point in the seller and buyer paying commission on a car that they probably will not even get a chance to drive. We also want it to be seen and used. It has so much provenance, photographs of Sir William looking at the car at the time of conception, a wonderful letter from Lofty England who took over from Sir William when he retired. It has so many stories, the original radio that has never been wired up or connected, twin fuel tanks in the rear wings with fuel flaps that are not equal distance from the boot line, Jaguar E Type dashboard, front indicators and cut down windscreen. At the time of a press launch the windscreen was Perspex, still with the car, although now it is glass. The radiator grill was hastily cut out of cardboard and covered in silver paper, sadly this has not survived. Self-supporting bonnet and boot lid. E Type seats covered in grey leather…the list goes on, all accounted for in a detailed history of 4 folders, a true prototype. Regarding the price, if one looks at an early E Type Jaguar 3.8 it should give some kind of indication; bearing in mind this is a unique one off car designed by the founder of Jaguar Cars. The car is driven and is used but I will not take her out in current conditions subject to agreeing a price. We live in a rural area and the roads are filthy. It has a really excellent soft top but I have never used it, which I believe is true of all previous owners. Look at the price of an early E Type and speak to me if seriously interested, it is unique! We are lower than the price of the Jaguar Pirana by quite a substantial amount! Irrespective of any outcome I hope it has been informative and if I can answer any other questions just ask? Sincere regards Geoff, Lincolnshire, U.K. "
Regards

Brooksy

1962 SP250 Ex Met Police 104035