Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

SP 250 Hood Frame

gc0700

Re: SP 250 Hood Frame

Post by gc0700 »

Hans,

Thanks for all the updates.
The measurements are all interesting, but it's not practical for me to be able change many of them on an existing frame. So I'm limiting my intervention to the front of the side rails, just behind the screen and also to the long vertical, from the B post pivot point.
However if you are OK with it, I'm proposing to pass all the details on to my supplier (Barry Thorn) so that he can pass them on to the manufacturer, in an effort to prevent other owners suffering the same problem.
Currently I'm aware of 3 owners (including me) and I have heard of rumours of a 4th, that are having these issues and all were supplied from the same ultimate hood frame manufacture.
Tim

heh101353

Post by heh101353 »

Glad I was able to contribute to your challenge.

No problem to pass my measurements to Barry.

A word of caution however:
We all don't want you to end up by saying: "I did cut it off three times, still too short" :lol: :lol:

Good luck
Hans
Last edited by heh101353 on Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
:o owner since 2015 :mrgreen:
https://www.wyhe.ch/

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

Hans, what you are doing is drawing the images from a website over the internet, which works but is slower than uploading to the forum's server and displaying them from there.
Using the Attachments, Add Files, uploading and Place Inline method without using IMG or URL tags you can add more than four photos. I think the basic forum limit of four has been overwritten by the Lightbox add-on, at least I can add more than four that way but I think another method still applies the limit of four. It's confusing, but it can be done if you find the correct method.

gc0700

Post by gc0700 »

As promised, an update on my modification to the new hood frame to make it fit.
As there a quite a few pictures, I've created a PDF setting out what I've done.
Hood frame modifications.pdf
(974.52 KiB) Downloaded 130 times
I still need to repaint the frame, but am currently unable to go out to buy any paint.
Tim

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by daimlersteve »

Hi all,
20 years ago i made 1/2 dozen soft top frames for the SP Mechanic at that time . They are painful to put together as any variation in the link c/L throws it all out. If you're stumped i can measure an origional , though the current makers of them should be able to access that from Barry.
Fitted a pair of seat belt upper units to the SP yesterday, today will complete the door inners and may get the side light /body match completed as well. looks good.I've found enough Primer to complete the body shell . Have a list of things on all 4 SPs to get through over the next three weeks until re-assessment of the local situation.
Geoff , haven't forgotten you . your set is there on the shelf for whenever , no problems .

Steve

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by daimlersteve »

OOps, just looked at your pics . good job.
Steve

heh101353

Post by heh101353 »

Glad you managed to alter the frame!
I just wonder why you choose to do a overlap instead of welding the side arms.
Maybe it's just temporary to make sure everything fits and you will weld it as a last step.

Again, congratulations!

Stay save
Hans
:o owner since 2015 :mrgreen:
https://www.wyhe.ch/

gc0700

Post by gc0700 »

Hi Hans,

A very long time I used to weld for a living, but these days I don't have any easy access to any welding gear. So for me, a nuts and bolts were the easy way out. And having gone that route, the button head bolt and half hight nut, were the least intrusive option. I was planning to leave them unpainted, but if they are too intrusive, I can paint them to match the frame.
Tim

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by daimlersteve »

Well done all. Steve

gc0700

Post by gc0700 »

I though I had got this solved, but talking to my trimmer just now, he mentioned that he'd had a similar hood frame fitting issue with another of his customers and in that case it was caused by the "B Post" fitting brackets on a new frame, being fitted to the frame wrongly.
Below is my left had bracket and I'd be very grateful if somebody could provide a picture of their mounting bracket.
IMG_20200414_101216595.jpg
Many thanks
Tim