Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Gearbox removal SP

JSabah

Gearbox removal SP

Post by JSabah »

I am in the process of removing the gearbos from the car while the engine remains in the car (so that an OD can be fitted).

I'v followed the instructions to the "T" found in the workshop manual (seats out, tunnel out, prop-shaft disconnected, starter removed, clutch braked and slave removed, speedo cable removed. rear mounting disconnected and 7 bolts and 4 nuts and bolts removed). Jacked the trans slightly and took up the engine weight with a jack as well. Should now just be a matter of pulling the gearbox straight back, but no budging. Am I missing something? is sliding the gearbox back a 2 man job (so far, Ive done it all myself). should I wedge a thin screwdriver between the gearbox and engine and then a pry-bar? Should I try using an engine hoist and strap? ......Finally will it be as difficult getting it back on?
Thank you,
Josh
Sp250, Sunbeam Tiger, MGTD, Jensen Interceptor conv, Jensen Interceptor Coupe', '49 Plymouth Woody and now a '65 Jensen CV8 Mk3 LHD

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Gearbox removal SP

Post by Ian Slade »

You only need to jack the engine until the gearbox is clear of its mounting but the bell housing is still below the bulkhead the wriggle while pulling, there are two locating pins in the bell housing so you will get no rotation until they are clear, supporting the gearbox won't help, probably hinder the removal
Owner since the 70's, Genghis is slightly to my left.

Flinty

Post by Flinty »

Josh.
I recently fitted overdrive and experienced the same problems. I shook the gearbox in an unsupported state and put a tube on the clutch lever to operate it and it soon parted.
As for putting it back well it weighs a lot more with the overdrive fitted but I made up two studs { Bolts with no heads } and screwed them into the engine opposite each other and used them as a guide and it went together quite easily.

Steve.

JSabah

Post by JSabah »

Ian Slade wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:41 am jack the engine until the gearbox is clear of its mounting but the bell housing is still below the bulkhead the wriggle while pulling, ....., supporting the gearbox won't help, probably hinder the removal
That did the trick. Thank you
Sp250, Sunbeam Tiger, MGTD, Jensen Interceptor conv, Jensen Interceptor Coupe', '49 Plymouth Woody and now a '65 Jensen CV8 Mk3 LHD

JSabah

Post by JSabah »

Flinty wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:57 am
As for putting it back well it weighs a lot more with the overdrive fitted but I made up two studs { Bolts with no heads } and screwed them into the engine opposite each other and used them as a guide and it went together quite easily.
One person or two...did you work from the top or the bottom? I dont have the car on a lift so getting under it is a trick ...had to get a very low profile jack.

Flinty

Post by Flinty »

Just me from the top.

Steve.