Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

SP250 Bonnet release catch

csm1406

SP250 Bonnet release catch

Post by csm1406 »

Hi
Anyone had experience with replacing this ? My one is stiff & difficult to operate - the cable also does not emerge from the correct place so the catch has been moved to accept the cable . Not a clear explanation I know but the operation is the problem as it takes a lot of pulling to release - any ideas on how I can improve this gratefully received.

Cameron

Jez

Re: SP250 Bonnet release catch

Post by Jez »

The catch itself is pretty simple - a sprung metal plate moving under a retaining plate. Access to the nuts to remove and refit is a bit tricky - I seem to remember unbolting the bolt radiator mounts and loosening the bottom so I could get fingers and a spanner in there. Undo the four bolts and it the catch comes apart. Clean it up, check for any burrs etc and you should have free movement. If the movement disappears when you tighten everything up, put an extra washer between the top plate at each corner to give the sprung plate a little more room.

Don't condemn the catch before checking the cable though as these can go stiff with age. Try hanging end of it vertically in the open bonnet area and putting some wd40 down it, leaving and repeating for a few hours. Remove it fully or put a rag around the cabin end just in case some oil gets all the way through.

Not sure how you move the bonnet catch without moving the peg on the bonnet itself, but make sure the peg is aligned to the hole in the catch. Adjust the height of the peg, by loosening the lock nut and screwing in or out, such that there is a bit of spring in the bonnet when it's closed. This allows a bit of movement when going over bumps etc which helps the bonnet stay shut.

Cheers - Jez
Jez Stow
1960 Daimler Dart
and a few other toys

csm1406

Re: SP250 Bonnet release catch

Post by csm1406 »

Hi Jez

Thanks for input - I will try your suggestions.

Rgds !
Cameron