Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Dart vertical links

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: Dart vertical links

Post by Sydsmith »

I have to admit that I was hesitant about joining in with the last effort to replicate these items and have always regretted it , not because of the cost ,but because I did not want them at the time.

But with the selling price around £1000 it must surely be becoming worth the investment in the tooling now.

Might be a daft question but would it not be possible using modern technology to redesign them so that the manufacture would be easier? Syd

atlantaman

Post by atlantaman »

Are they not interchangeable with TR3 Triumph units? Most of the front suspension parts are....

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

atlantaman wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:43 pm Are they not interchangeable with TR3 Triumph units? Most of the front suspension parts are....
Similar, but different.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

atlantaman

Post by atlantaman »

Vortex O'Plinth wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:26 pm
atlantaman wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:43 pm Are they not interchangeable with TR3 Triumph units? Most of the front suspension parts are....
Similar, but different.
the bushings and trunnions are the same I think. Maybe even the rotors from the 3B but mot 100% positive??????

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Ian Slade »

The caliper fittings are different as the SP uses a larger disc and the stub axle on the SP is larger in diameter. Possibly with todays digital controlled machine tools it may be possible to machine one from a solid billet rather than drop forged and machined.
Owner since the 70's, Genghis is slightly to my left.

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

I did not get a response when I suggested that at the current price of these units, which can only rise as shortages increase, it must becoming more viable to reproduce them. Especially as there are such advanced manufacturing techniques now available that could be explored. Or perhaps they could be redesigned to make them easier to manufacture.

I appreciate we are only talking a potential maximum market, even if every owner was to buy a spare set, of less than 1,500 sets. But even a modest demand for say 250 sets at say a tentative £1,250 a set, would be a well over half a million pound project.

I also appreciate that for the most part a new set would outlast most of the potential owners right now.

The only hope I guess is that as there are so many cars now on the road, and values have increased so that it has become viable to restore even the most decerped wreck, that some one out there might one day have the enterprise and courage to finance or crowd fund a project to produce a batch.

These units are already extremely scare, they will become even scarcer and what then will be the alternative? When the well runs dry we will just have to convert our cars by fitting a different front suspension. Syd

silverdart

Post by silverdart »

Did you know that someone on Facebook has had moulds made and is offering vert. links for sale at £1200 per pair. Apparently available soon.

Dave.

TWF

Post by TWF »

Hi ,when reassembling the trunnion onto the vertical links ,a) which is the best type of grease to use and b) after screwing the trunnions all the way home ,how many turns are they then turned back ?Regards ,Terry .

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Ian Slade »

You turn it back enough to get full lock, in most cases 1 turn, theory says they should all stop in the same place and the turn back is always the same but remanufacture may mean the trunion thread starts in diffrent place.
Owner since the 70's, Genghis is slightly to my left.

TWF

Post by TWF »

Hi, i'm sure this must have been already covered but looking at the exploded view of the Triumph TR 2 Suspension ,it looks identical to the SP 250 except for the vertical link, but could the TR 2 vertical link be used on the SP with the caliper bracket that attaches to the link? i suspect there are reasons why it can't be used but i would be interested to know what they are?Regards ,Terry .