Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Alternator needed for electric fan?

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Re: Alternator needed for electric fan?

Post by Brian-H »

John-B wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:53 am The DM article seemed to imply that it was essential to have an alternator and I wondered what people thought about it.
I can't find an article in the July DM that implies it's essential to have an alternator, let alone in relation to an electric fan.

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

Brian-H wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:01 pm
John-B wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:53 am The DM article seemed to imply that it was essential to have an alternator and I wondered what people thought about it.
I can't find an article in the July DM that implies it's essential to have an alternator, let alone in relation to an electric fan.
Peter Mclintock said "However, the need to fit an alternator to supply the additional current required by the fan, ..."

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Post by Brian-H »

John-B wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:46 pm
Brian-H wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:01 pm
Peter Mclintock said "However, the need to fit an alternator to supply the additional current required by the fan, ..."
Hmmm , ok that was on a 1958 Regency "104" which stopped being produced just before the V8 engines came along, and I'd hypothesise that this infers that the dynamo in the Regency (and maybe other 50's Daimlers including DB18-types ) wasn't up to the job of running an electric fan ?

heh101353

Post by heh101353 »

In my mostly unmolested A spec from June 1960 a dynamo is still running. Having the electric fan on and driving with the headlights on was never a problem.
By the way headlights stay always on while driving despite the fact that here in Switzerland cars before 1970 are exempt from the obligation.
Maybe if I'd have to turn on the wipers as well the situation may change. But that would imply driving in hot weather with rain pouring down.
Something I would surely try to avoid. ;)
Other than that never any issues with the "good old dynamo". Your mileage may vary though.
Hans
:o owner since 2015 :mrgreen:
https://www.wyhe.ch/

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Post by A.N.Other »

Having had three Darts, I too have never had a problem running with dynamos. On one of them I had an electric fan and electric power steering without issues regarding charging.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Post by Brian-H »

But as the quote relates to "Daimler Forum (not SP250/251, 2.5 V8 or V8-250)" and yet this thread is in the "Daimler SP250/251, 2.5 V8 & V8-250 Saloon Forum" then maybe there's a comparison of apples with oranges happening.
Brian-H wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:07 pm
John-B wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:46 pm Peter Mclintock said "However, the need to fit an alternator to supply the additional current required by the fan, ..."
Hmmm , ok that was on a 1958 Regency "104" which stopped being produced just before the V8 engines came along, and I'd hypothesise that this infers that the dynamo in the Regency (and maybe other 50's Daimlers including DB18-types ) wasn't up to the job of running an electric fan ?