Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

V8 r ear hubs remouvel I have done too many

Observer

V8 r ear hubs remouvel I have done too many

Post by Observer »

V8 rear hubs I have used factory tool Churchill tool and others inow have a hydraulic puller I made using a power PAC ram it will move mountains but all these where not easy nothing did it first time I still had to use heate to do the job apart from this method undo both nuts take off the washer put the nut back on with pin or a bit of wire in so there's a gap between hub and nut now drive car round block a few times applying rear brakes on and off if disc gets hot enough they come lose on taper not 100 percent but it does work

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: V8 r ear hubs remouvel I have done too many

Post by daimlersteve »

hi , is that tool for bolted or factory wires, do the saloons have a special hub for wire as the SP does ? only larger ?

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Chris_R »

Correct me please if I am wrong but is it not the case for taper bearing removal that shock is the key rather than simply lots of pressure? Using a puller apply a good amount of urge to the hub, proving the pull and the outward pressure on the taper and then give the driving part of the puller a really good whack with a club (or heavier) hammer?

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by daimlersteve »

Depends , if using an hydraulic ram ,the ram should be hollow to allow a floating center shaft to take the shock to the axle . you can have actions both with the Sykes puller system as below ,
A large hollow, fine thread ( to load up the pull )with a solid shouldered ( floating ) center spindle that takes the big whack to the axle without damaging the fine thread
regards Steve

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

This is probably the most talked about and returned to subjects on this and the old forum. There have been multiple suggestions over the years, the conclusion must be that there is no simple solution, we have all tried a variety of methods.

You have to wonder how Daimler Jaguar dealers solved it back in the 60's and 70's.

Observer

Post by Observer »

I have never pulled wire hubs off on bolt on i put a large blank nut on screw thread leaving a gap so it doesn't damage bread when I use hyd puller. I have used a ex jag dealers factor tool I was loaned he said they allways used heat he told me about undoing nuts and driving it if car was running