Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

lower suspension brackets on SP250

atlantaman

lower suspension brackets on SP250

Post by atlantaman »

The lower suspension brackets ( to the chassis) seem to have a washer or spacer on one side. What is the correct orientation when mounted> shims to front? back? on outsides? or insides?

Thanks

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Re: lower suspension brackets on SP250

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

Not entirely sure which shims you are referring to.... do these extracts from the Service Manual help?
1-b.JPG
1-a.JPG
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

TWF

Post by TWF »

Hi, I have just removed the lower wishbone brackets from my SP chassis; 3 of the brackets had one shim behind each of them but the O/S rear bracket had 4 shims behind it, there is no obvious damage to any of the brackets or any of the steering components that I can see , does anyone know the correct number of. Shims, Regards ,Terry.

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by daimlersteve »

Regardless of the number of springs , just set the system to spec. The vrtl. link may well be bent .
Steve

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Ian Slade »

The shims fit between the chassis and the lower wishbone brackets, there is no set number or thickness, that is calulatated to produce the correct camber angle. These shims can be altered to change the camber angle though the manual states they shouldn't be, not all cars have them and they may not be the same on any of the brackets. See page M13 of the manual first paragraph to of the page.
Owner since the 70's, Genghis is slightly to my left.

atlantaman

Post by atlantaman »

No I am talking about the shim or washer that is INSIDE the U-bracket on 1 side.
It is about 1/8" thick and fits against the bushing on the control arm.

to paint the chassis I removed them but to reinstall them I need to know if the "spacer" goes in the front or back or in another configuration.

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

The 'shim' you're referring to is the spigoted thrust washer; item E in the diagram shown in my previous post. Where, how and which way round it should be fitted is described in the accompanying text.

If you have a plain washer fitted that is incorrect (possibly the original was lost by a previous owner). The washer is intended to compress the rubber bush in the suspension arm and the spigot is necessary to achieve this. Also, if the spigot is missing the hole in the flange on one side of the bracket will be much too large for the bolt.
Nick

atlantaman

Post by atlantaman »

bushing223.jpg
The blue piece is what i am referring to . does it go to the front? the rear? They are used to set the Castor angle I believe..........

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

atlantaman wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:43 pm bushing223.jpg
The blue piece is what i am referring to . does it go to the front? the rear? They are used to set the Castor angle I believe..........
The spigot washer is used to compress the rubber/steel bush in the suspension arm - it has nothing to do with setting the Castor angle.
Its fitment is fully explained in the Service Manual extract included in my first post.
Nick

Patersoncm

Post by Patersoncm »

Extract from parts catalogue - Plate 20
Extract from parts catalogue - Plate 20
The bolts should both point to the suspension turret as per the attached diagram. Hope this helps.