Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

250 v8 best way to remove engine and box

guitarman1951

250 v8 best way to remove engine and box

Post by guitarman1951 »

Got a 1968 daimler 250 v8 auto.. can anyone tell me the best way to get the engine and gear box out,, and will a 1 ton engine hoist from Clarks do the job. I dont know the weight of engine and box.. I have a pit in the garage

Pearl

Re: 250 v8 best way to remove engine and box

Post by Pearl »

Morning,
The weight of the engine is 420lb or 190kg.
I have recently removed the engine and gearbox from our Daimler using a similar engine hoist without a problem.
I did however removed the gearbox first which made the removal a lot easier. I would recommend that you use a load leveller which will allow you to tilt the engine during its removal.

I would suggest that you remove the upper sections of the exhaust pipes from the manifold if you can which will help removal.

Cheers
JT

Christopher Storey
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Christopher Storey »

The 1 ton hoist will be ample for the job, as the engine and box together weighs about 550 - 600 lbs. The job can be done downwards, but this requires the front subframe to be removed so is a very long job. The upwards route is more conventional : usually you need to raise the rear of the car by about 1 foot to give clearance for the gearbox tail , ( although with a pit below the car this may not be needed ) and it is best to use a Machine mart load leveller ( the thread on which should be very well greased ) which enables you to vary the angle of the engine and box as you lift it and move it forwards

lomh 13

Post by lomh 13 »

You can also use two host to control the engine

Robert
What looks right is right

guitarman1951

Post by guitarman1951 »

Hi PEARL,
could you tell me , did you remove the bell housing and torque converter, or just the gear box behind the bell housing.

Pearl

Post by Pearl »

Having sent you PM. I will just close out the question on the forum.
I left the bell housing and and torque converter in place as access to the bolts were easier this way.
Placing the engine back into the car it was easier to couple the gearbox onto the engine and drop it back as one unit which is what I did yesterday.
Cheers
JT

guitarman1951

Post by guitarman1951 »

Thanks Pearl , for the PM, did the gear box slide into the torque converter easy enough, without damaging the seal at the back of the box??. and thanks to all for the help,