Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

drivers side exhaust front down pipe removal

classiclife
Classic Wise Man
Classic Wise Man

Re: drivers side exhaust front down pipe removal

Post by classiclife »

Edit:

Just checked, Brian, they are 1-7/8" or 1-15/16" in length......................... most likely common size is 1-7/8".

I can confirm that the nut size is 3/8"UNF thread.

Regards.

Richard.
1968 Daimler V8-250 Saloon
DLOC East Sussex Branch Secretary
DLOC 2.5L V8 & V8-250 Registrar - https://www.dloc.org.uk/v8-250
DLOC 2024 International Rally - https://www.dloc.org.uk/rally-2024

guitarman1951

Post by guitarman1951 »

Worked all day today, and got 1 nut off. Came to the conclusion that the manifold will have to come off. Is it possible to do this with the head on the car.. Can you advise me Richard?. Have you done it??? Also the steering Universal joint is in the way, any
Optimized-1 nut off.jpg
one know how to take this off. Pic 1 is the days work..1 nut off. pic 2 is the steering joint I need off
Optimized-top shot shows sreering.jpg
. Any help appreciated

guitarman1951

Post by guitarman1951 »

Thanks Richard ,,,,
To fit new studs I think I will need the manifold in the bench vice,,Ive just posted 2 pics, 1 shows the steering UV in the way, I MIGHT and its a big might be able to get at the top 2 nuts from above with the steering Uv removed .Any ideas

Tennant

Post by Tennant »

I had the same problem. I had bought a new exhaust anyway so cut off the pipe just below the joint. It will come out upwards then. When I had it on the bench I had to drill out the studs and re thread them. I opened the holes in the manifold to head studs so they would fit easily when it went back on.
However replacing it was a real bu...r. I eventually undid the sublime mountings on that side (front & back) and jacked up the car a bit, removed the steering shaft. This was only a couple of minutes and made the job easy.
Have fun.

Barry

guitarman1951

Post by guitarman1951 »

Hi Barry,
Thanks for the reply....Can you tell me how to remove the steering Knuckle, thats right in the way? and You say you undid the [SUBLIME mountings front and back ,did you mean subframe mountings. I am hoping to get the manifold on the bench WITHOUT taking the Head off,, That knuckle is in one of my photos, ,you say you got it off in a few mins,, I would really appreciate a detailed HOW TO remove it if you would,, regards Brian

Tennant

Post by Tennant »

Good Morning Brian,
Remove the top and bottom pinch bolts on the shaft. You will find that there is not enough movement up or down to remove the shaft.
Remove the 2 bolts on the front subframe rubber mounting and the 2 on the rear mounting.
jack up the car on the drivers side a little, which will part the subframe from the body, until there is enough distance to remove the shaft from the steering box. About 1 inch will do.
Now you have enough room also to play with the manifold.
Let me know how you get on and it I can help any more.

Barry

classiclife
Classic Wise Man
Classic Wise Man

Post by classiclife »

Brian,

My situation was slightly different from your current job, in so much that I wanted to remove the cylinder heads anyway - it then followed that the engine needed to come out due to an issue (cracked block) which only became apparent when the heads were removed.

It was then easier for me to remove the exhaust and manifold etc with the engine out.

The manifold will need to be on the bench to carry out stud removal, it's impossible to do it properly in situ. Very likely the manifold will need to be heated to assist with stud removal. Saying that you may be lucky and they come undone with a soaking of Plus Gas....................... I've yet to hear that !!

You are fortunate that Barry has done the route you intend to go down, which should make the job easier.

Regards.

Richard.
1968 Daimler V8-250 Saloon
DLOC East Sussex Branch Secretary
DLOC 2.5L V8 & V8-250 Registrar - https://www.dloc.org.uk/v8-250
DLOC 2024 International Rally - https://www.dloc.org.uk/rally-2024

guitarman1951

Post by guitarman1951 »

Hi Barry.
Thanks for you help, as Richard said in his last post Im fortunate to have found someone who has done this job insitu. But not quite sure of the subframe mounts you mention, so been under neath and took some photos. The photos are of the passenger side as its more clear, but it is the drivers side I am working on where the steering column joins the steering box.
Optimized-rear sub.jpg
Optimized-front sub.jpg
Optimized-steering box.jpg
So Barry if the sub frame mounts are the ones in the photos it seems the car body and engine go up , and the steering universal joint slides off.. is this the idea?. If these are the mounts in question my drivers side look horribly rusted, but I will certainly give it a good go ,as you say it will make the manifold to cyl head more accessible. Do you think taking the steering box off may be an option, the photo has a blue cross showing the UV joint .. look forward to hearing from you regards Brian

guitarman1951

Post by guitarman1951 »

Hi Richard,
Thanks for the reply, as you say in your last post,, Barry has been a real lucky break for me ,,and indeed all 250 v8 enthusiasts. one thing has struck me as im working away on the car.. To change an exhaust system when the car was young, and the nuts not rusted and seized, would still be a challenge as one of the 4 down pipe nuts is virtually inaccessible. the top one at about 1o'clock. Thanks again Richard regards Brian

Tennant

Post by Tennant »

Good Morning Brian,
I do not see the rear mounts on your pictures. Put your hand on the chassis rail by the jacking point, then move forward and you will come to a plate with 2 vertical bolts that go through the subframe flange and a pad into the chassis rail. The nuts are captive so you cannot see them.
This is from memory but I think you will find them like that.
Barry