Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Fancy a Front Roll Bar? here's how

DaveM

Fancy a Front Roll Bar? here's how

Post by DaveM »

Hi All,

Thought I'd post some info on how you can fit a front anti-roll bar through the chassis cross rail, thereby not losing any under-body ground clearance. I've found that the roll-bar makes a significant difference in the road holding characteristics of the front end. The mod' is easily knocked up in the garage or with the help of a friendly engineering firm, you just need to confirm a few dimensions for them which have been highlighted in the attached drawings.

Enjoy - Dave
2.jpg
Front Roll-Bar.PNG

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: Fancy a Front Roll Bar? here's how

Post by daimlersteve »

Nice one

Ursa major

Post by Ursa major »

Thanks for this, Dave. It is something I have been trying to design myself, so to have it done for me it’s great.

A couple of questions, if I may:

I cannot find the Peugeot part number on the Internet at all; is it correct? Did you source the bar from a breaker?

In the drawings’ notes, I see that to describe the bar as magnesium. Is this really so?! Do you have the specification of steel that you used or that is commonly used? I believe EN24T is suitable but would like confirmation from somewhere.

Many thanks for your time and for a nice piece of work,

With best wishes,

Simon

DaveM

Post by DaveM »

Hi Simon,

Thanks for you comments much appreciated, nice to get some feedback

I've double checked my records and can confirm the bar was advertised as "Peugeot 405 19mm rear anti-roll bar 517065 Estate stabiliser model Mi 16". I've tried finding it online this morning, and like you, can't find a reference for it anywhere on the web, strange indeed!!

I did try to manufacture a bar myself using EN47 silicone-manganese spring steel bar of 19mm diameter, bought a 1.5mtr length for £10 but as mentioned the final heat treatment was £80 so I gave up.

In the end I just looked at all the roll (Sway, ARB, Stabiliser) bars available on eBay and just sent a message to the seller asking if the bar was over 900mm long and hence ended up with the Peugeot bar for £12. If your close to a local scrap yard (remember the days you could just go to one with your toolbox, pay for a door handle and walk out with a gearbox - such good memories) might be worth digging around or go the eBay route and see what comes up. Now you have the dimensions, I didn't at the time, there as several places that make custom bars but don't think it would be that cheap.

Looking at my set up and whilst taking some measurement for the drawings, I would make a modification in so far as the two rose joints could do the a 1/2" UNF half thickness lock nut installed as they have a little too much free movement between them if not locked.

If I can be of anymore assistance just shout

Cheers Dave

NevilleW

Post by NevilleW »

Nice job Dave.
I have been looking at roll bar on mine and interestingly have ended up with something quite similar.
About only difference is I'm going to use the pinch bolt to do both retain the arm and clamp.
Originally I was going to use tube close to bore size of cross tube, but quite alot of fooling around to source tubing and attaching a stub end into it.
I'm intending to use nice short fixed length links from a Subaru Legacy. I drive one of these as daily driver and had to replace a slightly worn one and noted they would work a treat for Daimler
Attachments
SP250 AntiRoll Bar installed.jpg
SP250 AntiRoll Bar Attachment Iso.jpg
SP250 Antiroll Bar Iso.jpg

DaveM

Post by DaveM »

Funnily enough my original design was set up to use the pinch bolt for clamping and retaining, however in-service I didn't feel it was the best solution.

The connection between the arm and the square end of the roll bar is great for torsional load, ie; it handles the up/down forces but it's not great as a clamping force stopping axial movement. I had the bolt running through a slot in the drive square (similar to a steering column UJ) with the idea that if it came loose the slot/bolt would still hold it in place, unfortunately during construction I made the bolt hole a fraction too big and probably a little too far back so the bolt only just interfered with the shaft which I wasn’t happy with. Considering the square drive is only 13mm across the flats, removing any material for a bolt slot could potentially leave a fracture point as its under significant load (although acceptable) for its size.

I had thought of pinning straight through the square end but again thought any hole through it would lead to it shearing off. The way I fixed it, with what I had, was to do a typical bolt through the interface faces as seen in the picture. In the new design I extend the shaft by another 15 mm and put M12 threads on the end with the addition of lock nuts thereby leaving the bolt and nut to do independent jobs.

Nice drawings you've done there
roll bar retainer bolt.jpg