Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Welding autotec rack kit

BruceC

Welding autotec rack kit

Post by BruceC »

Hi, I am a newbie on the forum who has just bought a dart that has been off the road for some time.
The previous owner nearly completed an Autotec rack and pinion conversion but sadly passed away before finishing it.
My query is how much weld should there be attaching the rack frame to the chassis, at present there is a 1 inch weld each end onto the suspension bracket.
Does anyone have the Autotec installation instructions or a photo of the welding on a completed car?
All comments appreciated,
Thanks

Kbeal

Re: Welding autotec rack kit

Post by Kbeal »

Mine was done by Phil Glennerster (Autotec) and it’s welded all the way around the frame. I’ll try and post a picture

Kevin

BruceC

Post by BruceC »

Thanks Kevin,
I look forward to seeing the photo when you can post it
Cheers
Bruce

Kbeal

Post by Kbeal »

678CE9FA-A3E4-4B7A-BAC4-8ABF234B61C2.jpeg
678CE9FA-A3E4-4B7A-BAC4-8ABF234B61C2.jpeg (24.23 KiB) Viewed 1023 times
[ This attachment jpeg doesn't exist in the forum database and needs to be uploaded and set as an attachment again.
To show a photo or image in a reply, open a Reply window, click Attachments below left of the post window, then click Add files which will open your computer's file list, highlight a file (preferably in a .jpg, .jpeg, .bmp or .gif format), click Open at the bottom of the window, wait for it to upload and it should show the filename in the original post reply page in a box below your text, put the cursor in the post where you want the photo and click Place inline which will add the filename inside [ attachment] [ /attachment] code. Then Submit the post. You don't need to use [ URL] [ /URL] or [ IMG] [ /IMG] tags.
- Admin]

BruceC

Post by BruceC »

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for posting the photo, unfortunately I can't open it! This may be because I am new to this site and need to learn the ropes?

When I try to open the photo in a new window it says the file is not there any more, if I open it in the post I just get a small grey square.

I have tried on a windows computer and on an Ipad with the same result.

Maybe there is someone technical out there who can assist?

All the Best

Bruce

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Post by Brian-H »

The picture was there when I looked at 00:15 this morning

JohnM

Post by JohnM »

I get the same error message as Bruce does, Kevin - weird........

download/file.php?id=8890

John
John M in Middlesex, NW London
1962 SP250 "B" Spec
DLOC Herts Region Sec

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Post by Brian-H »

Brian-H wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:41 pm The picture was there when I looked at 00:15 this morning
I definitely saw the picture Monday 12/7/21 00:15, and not there when I looked again 13 hours later.

AntonyB

Post by AntonyB »

I was waiting to see if the picture reappeared again , I also saw it earlier. but it is not there now as noted.

Not sure if it will be helpful, but my rack was installed by Phil, and as far as I am aware he used his kit, I add that slight clarification as mine was originally done by someone else, but the steering was very odd and unpredictable and dangerous, I took it to Autotec and left it there to be checked. Whilst Phil could not see anything that was wrong with the installation it was agreed after some head scratching that he would remove and start again, this was done and the result was fine.

I am attaching a couple of pictures and agree that it seems to be welded fully rather than short welds as stated earlier in the thread.

Hope this is helpful

Antony
Attachments
SP Steering mount.jpg
SP Steering mount 2.jpg

Mark

Post by Mark »

Does anyone have a contact no for Autotec?
Can’t find any details online

Also would appreciate details of brackets required for steering conversion whereby fan replacement is not required

Thanks
Mark