Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Water flush

Stevesv8250

Water flush

Post by Stevesv8250 »

My car has not run for a few years now apart from when I bought it a few months ago and it drove on and off the transporter. I think I know all the downsides to this and at this time I'm getting it ready to start up again, I drained all the water before starting the renovation and I have now removed the heater motor and water pipes which were not in the best of heath. Before replacing all the pipes and hoses etc I'd like to flush out the block and rad etc, so my question is what do people use for this bearing in mind the engine is a runner and not out of the car.
Sorry for the long post ha.
Steve.

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Re: Water flush

Post by Brian-H »

Do you mean, put in an 'additive' and run the engine for a while, or do you mean, flush through without engine running ?
Or either ?

Stevesv8250

Post by Stevesv8250 »

Well I hope to run it up next week and I just wondered if there was anything people use to flush the engine while it's running before filling with antifreeze.

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Post by Brian-H »

It's an interesting question, not done it on any car, in the past I used to flush through without engine running.

Hopefully someone who's done it on the V8 engine will know the best stuff to use.

pflanaga

Post by pflanaga »

Jay Leno has a video advert promoting a certain antifreeze and it suggests using a leaf blower to clear out the water.

Christopher Storey
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Christopher Storey »

The best flush for a system is citric acid, available as powder from pharmacies . If say 1/2 lb / 200 grammes is mixed with a few pints of water and then added to the system ( of course an equivalent amount needs to be drained off ) and the engine then brought to temperature, it should then be left for 2 to 3 days and drained. If there is evidence of serious bl;ockage etc, a repeat is useful