Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

2.5 V8 Saloon Clutch Master Cylinder

armstrong whitworth

2.5 V8 Saloon Clutch Master Cylinder

Post by armstrong whitworth »

Hello all

I have dismantled the clutch master cylinder (a Lockheed tin can type) from my 1967 2.5 V8 MOD Saloon and found that the piston and spring are different lengths to those in an OEM overhaul kit, although the seals are the correct diameter. I have asked the supplier about the difference in lengths (and am still waiting for an answer), but in the meantime would be really interested to find out if anyone else who has overhauled their master cylinder (or has access to an illustrated parts catalogue) has encountered a similar piston. In the attached images, the longer piston and spring are the originals and the shorter ones are from the overhaul kit (the combined difference in lengths is 5/8"). Of course, the master cylinder (which, even though I have cleaned it up, looks too good to be 54 years old) could be an incorrect replacement fitted by a PO or could have been overhauled previously using the wrong components, which would muddy the waters. If push came to shove, I could try fitting the new seals to the old piston, but am intrigued as to why I have a longer piston in the first place - could my master cylinder be slightly longer than standard (if a non-standard, but externally similar, item had been fitted in the past)?

Many thanks
Attachments
Screenshot_20210730-100620.png
Screenshot_20210730-100614.png

Christopher Storey
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: 2.5 V8 Saloon Clutch Master Cylinder

Post by Christopher Storey »

I have to say that your m/c looks like a stainless steel replacement, and I have a slight suspicion that the tubular upstand at its base is longer than mine ; if that were the case, then it might account for why the lengths of the piston rod are different. I should fit the seals to your existing piston and see what happens

armstrong whitworth

Re: 2.5 V8 Saloon Clutch Master Cylinder

Post by armstrong whitworth »

Thanks Chris.