Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

MGF seats in a Dart ?

TWF

MGF seats in a Dart ?

Post by TWF »

Hi ,i have a pair of MGF front seats which i hope to fit into my SP,any guidence or information regarding the job would be very much appreciated ,Regards ,Terry .

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: MGF seats in a Dart ?

Post by Ian Slade »

A Scottish member has done the conversion, some 5 years ago, I would need to consult Fossil for details but I thought they were published in the old forum.
Owner since the 70's, Genghis is slightly to my left.

SPortsman

Post by SPortsman »

This car ( Reg 293 HJJ ) has (or had) them fitted.
P1050387.JPG
The owner is in paSPort.

Dorris Owner

Post by Dorris Owner »

Hi Terry, I'm the owner of 293 HJJ (Doris). The MGF seats were fitted when I brought Doris 8 years ago so I am not exactly sure how they are mounted but the previous owner did say it was straightforward. If I can I will take a look over the next few days and email you some photos. Dave.

TWF

Post by TWF »

Hi Dave ,thank you ,that would most helpful ,Regards ,Terry .

Warsash 2

Post by Warsash 2 »

Hi
It might be worth trying a car that as the seats. We have them in Margaret's SP and the are a bit bulkier and higher than the standard. Which can be a problem with the hood up depending how tall you are.
Regards

Colin

TWF

Post by TWF »

Hi Colin ,i will bear that in mind although i am only 5'6" and my wife is shorter than me , Many thanks ,Terry .

Andy Middleditch

Post by Andy Middleditch »

Hi. I fitted MGF seats into my Dart. Also I think I may be that Scottish member they Ian Slade is referring to earlier in this thread. Hi Ian.

I had them retrimmed in the same leather that Bryan Purves used to trim the rest of the car. I also fitted a lowering kit into the base of the seat which is basically springs that allows your bum to sit down further into the seat to settle you down lower and tuck down behind that windscreen as I’m 6ft.

I made my own subframes so the seats now bolt down into that chassis at the three body to chassis bolts just behind the seats.

They are very comfortable and with headrests I feel they are safer than the original buckets. Oh, on headrests. I was worried that when you looked at the car and the seats would look too pronounced so I reduced the headrests in height a few inches just so they don’t stick up too much. From memory I think about 2” of foam was taken out the top of them.

I can attach more photos showing the mountings if you’re interested??
Attachments
10B8FFF7-C283-4D07-B0A8-FF46E17C90A8.jpeg
0768DA10-CD94-45F2-9FDF-FA901DB3F48F.jpeg
54CE162A-E0B5-4B85-9DE7-D644316A96EE.jpeg
Regards,
Andy Middleditch

'B' spec Dart.

TWF

Post by TWF »

Hi Andy, thank you, any photos of the framework would be most welcome, the seats look great in your car and the same colour as mine,Regards , Terry .

Andy Middleditch

Post by Andy Middleditch »

Hi Terry,
There’s not much space to get photos but you’ll get the general idea.

It’s basically a flat piece a steel welded between the back end of the runners and another at the front. The steel is 50mm x 4mm.

The rear piece has three holes drilled to match the pitch of the three body mount bolts. I have large penny washers below it to pack it up and take up unevenness in the fibreglass floor while also ensuring the seat is plumb. You’ll see one of the seatbelt mounts bolts to the outer of the three body mount bolts.

It’s that same idea on the front but the bolts only go though the fibreglass floor.

Hope this is of use to you.
Attachments
FD715796-E0E7-445A-96CA-C040FDCD0A26.jpeg
65ECC502-2537-4AF0-9287-F7BD6318EEA7.jpeg
Regards,
Andy Middleditch

'B' spec Dart.