Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Daimler V8 saloon rear spring replacement-warning

KV8

Daimler V8 saloon rear spring replacement-warning

Post by KV8 »

Hi
I came to the conclusion about a year ago that my O/S rear roadspring needed replacement due to lean of car. At that time there was zero stock at all key suppliers. However I found one on E-bay. Due to Covid regs my son (51!) who was lined up to help me on this replacement was due to distance/ Covid/regs unable to help until today. Removal of the old spring was very straightforward.

However trying to fit the replacement was impossible as the straps were bolted as against the original being riveted. This meant that the forward end of the spring could not fit upwards into the chassis rebate due to the bolt/nut ends.
I would greatly appreciate if any member could indicate any car where my duff spring might be useable so I can target resale?

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: Daimler V8 saloon rear spring replacement-warning

Post by Sydsmith »

I assume you mean the pair of springs you bought because it would be very unwise to replace just one of them.

As far as I know the rear springs only fit the MK2 range of cars and the suspension mounts are the same throughout the range, so the springs you have will not be much use to either Jaguar or Daimler owners, unless some enterprising soul is willing replace the bots with suitable rivets.

I guess some cost cutting company has avoided the cost of riveting by using bolts or, the only other possibility is perhaps the later Jaguar S type may have had different suspension boxes? Syd

KV8

Post by KV8 »

Thanks for comments Syd.
No only replacing one as car only sags in one corner. I had also wondered if the S-type or even the 240 or 340 had a less restrictive forward spring mounting.

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Ian Slade »

I understood the S and subsequent models had independent coil springs, I seem to remember the advertising blurb stated it had an E-Type derived rear suspension
Owner since the 70's, Genghis is slightly to my left.

Christopher Storey
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Christopher Storey »

Yes indeed, the S type had the IRS as fitted to all new models subsequent to the E type, ie mark 10; S type and derivatives such as 420; XJ6 etc. The best suggestion I can make is find a local blacksmith who almost certainly will be able to rivet the springs for you. Failing that, there is a number of firms in the midlands who do re-tempering of springs, who again should be able to do the job for you

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Am I wrong about this? I was always told only replace springs in pairs.

I am still concerned about the wisdom of replacing or re-tempering just one rear spring, the springs need to be a pair and of the same temper and strength or the car will handle badly.

If one spring has given way and you only replace that spring the other has to be older and therefore weaker and it must throw the car off balance and a V8 is a heavy car. Syd

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Ian Slade »

I think that "it only sags in one corner" will translate to "it only sags in the other corne" if only one is replaced. the answer really is to remove both the rear springs and have them refurbished, it would also be sensible to have the spare bolted spring checked and refurbished to standard, you will then have a compatible spare
Owner since the 70's, Genghis is slightly to my left.

KV8

Post by KV8 »

Firstly thanks to all with their comments and suggestions.
I will replace one and see what happens.
To continue however ........

Ordered a spring now available from one of the major suppliers and son and I tried to fit today. Riveted straps so no problem fitting into body recess but noted one strap not square to spring smart taps with hammer using wood drift cured. Also centre rubber not fitting - not square! Main problem however is that bush in eye end is 3mm wider than original so will not fit in mounting. Have tried using internal bolt head method to expand mounting but although can expand the gap by 6 mm it springs back to less than 3mm. So am looking for way to expand mounting point by more than 6mm in hope that it will spring back to at least 3-4 mm. Also Spring seems to have slight anti clock wise twist that may make insertion of eye bolt difficult.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Rach250

Post by Rach250 »

Not sure if Brost Forge in London is still operational, you send your original springs to them and they reset harden and temper.
Good as new and you know they will fit ---

Christopher Storey
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Christopher Storey »

I would just take a grinder to the bush and grind 1.5mm off each side