Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Chassis and Engine Numbers

cybercontroller

Chassis and Engine Numbers

Post by cybercontroller »

I was wondering how you could be sure that you had the original engine in the car
With the Chassis Number 1A1001, the engine would in theory be 7K1001 but on later cars the engine number is much higher than the Chassis number, for example the last chassis number for the V8 250 was 1K5780 but my engine number is over 7000. I have no reason to suspect the engine was ever changed and the documentation give no indication of an engine change. I initially considered the left hand drive models would have shared the same range but with a different numbering system would presumably have their own engine numbers too. Would the same numbering range have been used for the SP250s thereby giving the higher engines numbers in the later saloons?

John-B
Site Admin

Re: Chassis and Engine Numbers

Post by John-B »

Laurence Jones lauriej1s would be able to answer you; contact him on http://www.daimlersp250dartownersclub.com/forum/

My Dart is an early RHD but the numbers were already way out of sync. Chassis 100587, original engine was 89089.

If you pay about £40 to Jaguar Heritage http://www.jaguarheritage.com/ they will send you a certificate with the original engine number.

cybercontroller

Post by cybercontroller »

Thanks for that. You have actually answered the question.
I will be looking to go to Jaguar Heritage at some point though.

It does making me wonder how many car are actually "Matching Numbers" in the literal sense.

Christopher Storey
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Christopher Storey »

John-B wrote: Wed May 03, 2017 4:45 pm
If you pay about £40 to Jaguar Heritage http://www.jaguarheritage.com/ they will send you a certificate with the original engine number.
I'm afraid this is not quite correct. What Jaguar heritage do is to confirm your numbers as original i.e. you have to supply the numbers in the first place. If your engine number IS original, then the certificate will have that number on it. IF, however, your engine number is not as it was when your car was built, then the certificate will merely state - under the engine number section - " not as original" or words to that effect

The same goes for body number and gearbox number etc

Salmons
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Salmons »

Surely the Heritage Certificate confirms details of the car as it left the works. I do not quite understand about the owner having to supply Gaydon with the present chassis and engine numbers of their car.

When I researched the DJ254 book at Gaydon I was allowed to see the 'Build Records' for that model.

These records did not only give the Chassis number and Engine number of each car, as built. In fact they gave the following numbers and details for each car;

Engine No.- Date of Order- Chassis No.- Body No.- Colour- Date of Manufacture - Dictributor that car was sent to- Invoice No.-and Date of Dispatch.

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

When I asked for a certificate, I gave the original and current engine numbers and the certificate just says "Originally: 89089" so I can't say what would have happened if I hadn't known the original number.

It did show other information like the date of despatch and date of manufacture and name of company where it was delivered which I didn't know.

simonp
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by simonp »

I should make an enquiry to Laurence. He may have the information you require. Thought that all the chassis records had now been consolidated onto a database which is behind the annual Passport.

SimonP
Daimler SP 250 - "To feel its eager response as you open up is to know a new motoring adventure"(Sales brochure) The adventure continues!

Christopher Storey
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Christopher Storey »

The answer to Salmons' question is that some years ago JDH as it then was discovered that its information was being used to clone cars. After that, they prevented this happening by not giving out information that was not already known to the enquirer