Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

One man's viewpoint

New Dexter
Wise Man
Wise Man

One man's viewpoint

Post by New Dexter »

This was on a Pinterest post I received earlier. Cheeky blighter! Hideous? Never. Different certainly. Unfortunately the photo didn't come through but we all know what one looks like. However, I am not sure what an "outlier" is.

Daimler SP250

If You Want A Hideous British Roadster, Buy This Daimler
The British, against all odds, have traditionally been pretty great at building gorgeous sports cars. We have them to thank for some particularly great Jaguars, basically everything Aston Martin ever built, some Lotuses, and even a fair few MGs, Triumphs, and Austin Healeys. Their hit-to-miss ratio is better than Germany, to be sure. One of those far flung British misses, however, the outlier that proves the theory, has to be the Daimler SP250. Don’t get me wrong, it’s certainly an interesting sports car, but it looks like a chrome-mouthed bottom-feeding fish that accidentally sucked on a lemon. :o

John-B
Site Admin

Re: One man's viewpoint

Post by John-B »

Disgusting. Your topic hardly qualifies as general chat, it's too important for that, but isn't technical so the only forum it seems to fit is SP250 histories.

I suppose "outlier" just means way out there on a limb proving the point that British car designs were often terrible, but we don't agree, do we. :shock:

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by tjt77 »

appearance is all in the eye of the beholder.. I doubt there are many who would consider the SP 250 to be 'elegant' .. at best its a 'quirky' design.. there are all manner of oddball cars out there.. look to the reliant 'sabre' for yet rather oddball glass fiber bodied sportscar.. consensus seems to be that the saving grace of the SP250 is that sound for the turner V8 allied to good overall performance due to power to weight ratio being about right.. it simply would not have cut the mustard had it been powered by a triumph 4 banger.. which can be modified to produce similar power yet remain very durable ..

Petelang
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Petelang »

Well, the SP250 certainly looks better than any of today's BMW, Audio, Fiat, Citroën, etc.
They all look much the same to me. Total lack of individuality and not a sweeping line to be seen.
Cheeky blighter!
Peter
Peter Langridge
Cloud Nine Classic Weddings, Nottingham.

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Chris_R »

New Dexter wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:32 pm I am not sure what an "outlier" is.
Outlier: a person or thing differing from all other members of a particular group or set

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Ian Slade »

The "odd shape/ design" stops it swerving all over the road when the brakes are slammed on in an emergency at over 100mph like the others mentioned, except possibly the MGA but they didn't make the magic ton in standard form unless going down hill with the wind and tide behind them. :D
Owner since the 70's, Genghis is slightly to my left.