Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

What is the percentage of SP250s in the DLOC?

John-B
Site Admin

What is the percentage of SP250s in the DLOC?

Post by John-B »

In a nutshell,
1) How many cars do DLOC members own and how many of them are SP250s?
2) How many DLOC members are there and how many own an SP250?
No doubt a member of the Board or someone with access to the data could investigate.

The SP250 Club's website says that 1656 cars are known about out of 2656 built (including those destroyed or wrecks, I believe) and 903 are listed in PasSPort.

It also says that
It is important to note that we are in association with the Daimler & Lanchester Owners’ Club (DLOC). At last count, it is estimated that approximately 350 DLOC members are SP250 owners and we have 700+ SP250 owners registered in pasSPort. We therefore urge SP250 owners to join the DLOC.
How many cars of all marques are owned by DLOC members? We could then calculate the proportion of the DLOC's cars that are SP250s. (My guess is 15% to 20%).

Alternatively, how many DLOC members own Daimlers, Lanchesters or BSAs? This would also allow a percentage of DLOC members owning SP250s to be calculated approximately as many members own more than one car, even SP250s and others.

The total DLOC subscriptions in 2017/18 divided by the subscription indicate a DLOC membership of about 2000 people so 350 SP250s in the SP250 club owned by DLOC members would indicate 17.5% if members only owned one car. Some don't own any cars and some members have more than one SP250, so estimates can only be approximate.

Edit: the AGM minutes report the membership as exceeding 1550 which would mean 350 Darts is about 23%.

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: What is the percentage of SP250s in the DLOC?

Post by Phillmore »

I would suggest if you look at the total posts for each of the main three marque forum categories the ratio might well represent the true state of ownership. I hope that makes sense?
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

Phillmore wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:50 am I would suggest if you look at the total posts for each of the main three marque forum categories the ratio might well represent the true state of ownership. I hope that makes sense?
You can't do that because the SP250 forum includes V8 saloons.
If that was relevant, the SP250 forum with V8 saloons has 6841 posts while the others total 6450 posts. Since SP250s and V8 saloons almost certainly don't total 50% of club cars, it might indicate that V8 owners have more problems or that other marques or models have better mechanics. :o

JohnM

Post by JohnM »

OOOOOOO!!!!!! that'll cause some comments, John! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
John M in Middlesex, NW London
1962 SP250 "B" Spec
DLOC Herts Region Sec

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

I know this is off topic but as you say JohnM that comment deserves a response.

I have both and though the V8's have given me problems over the years it has been because they get used a lot more than my 1936 15 and the SP was in poor condition when I bought it. I asked for and got a lot of help from the old forum when rebuilding the car.

On top of that, both the SP and the V8 250 are far more complex than the older car.

I suspect also that V8's are owned by younger enthusiasts that have less knowledge of their cars, whereas the 1930's cars are owned mostly by us oldies who have more experience in sorting our own problems.

I guess that's another statistics question, what is the average age of 50-60's cars v earlier cars.

Bud

Post by Bud »

The Bard would say
It's GFR, or not GFR,
That is the question.

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

I presented the outcome of the Member Update at the AGM. If you’d been there, you’d know the answers :-)
I understand the minutes will be published in next months Driving Member and the following month the results will be published in full. We haven’t heard from 30% of members, so if you’re one, complete the Member Update at https://www.dloc-members.com or send in the form that’s been in every DM since last April.
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)