Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Transmission noise in Conquest Century / Oil query

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Re: Transmission noise in Conquest Century / Oil query

Post by grahamemmett »

The club has a very active branch meeting monthly (in normal times) near you. You’ll find plenty of Conquest Owners there all happy to give you a hand.
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

Alistair

Post by Alistair »

Hello again folks

I have checked, topped up and so on all the oil in the engine, flywheel and the transmission. There is no difference to the level of noise. I have made a recording of the transmission in use.

This noise persists whether the car is idling in neutral as per this recording or is driven in gear.

13 second video of the noise here

I would anticipate some level of whirring and whining comes with the terretory of owning a 60+ year old car but this is evidently more noisy than is "normal"

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

Hi Alsistair,

Ring me on 01785 713862 to discuss, as I need far more info and it's too complex to go into chapter and verse on the form.

Alistair

Post by Alistair »

Is that a daytime or evening number to call on?

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Post by Brian-H »

Alistair wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:41 pm Hello again folks

I have checked, topped up and so on all the oil in the engine, flywheel and the transmission. There is no difference to the level of noise. I have made a recording of the transmission in use.

This noise persists whether the car is idling in neutral as per this recording or is driven in gear.

13 second video of the noise here

I would anticipate some level of whirring and whining comes with the terretory of owning a 60+ year old car but this is evidently more noisy than is "normal"
That sounds like the fluid flywheel bush has worn down and the two faces are just about rubbing against one another

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

Hi Alistair,

Ring me anytime.

Alistair

Post by Alistair »

Thanks Stan, I will call when I am free of work!

Alistair

Post by Alistair »

Brian-H wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:16 pm That sounds like the fluid flywheel bush has worn down and the two faces are just about rubbing against one another
I had no idea there even was such a thing! Thats why I am here... It sounds like something like that, we were trying to work out what it could be. It doesn't sound as shrill as a bearing running dry which was my first thought.

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Post by Brian-H »

The driven member has an elongated hub which runs through a bronze bush in the driving member. On all vehicles that use a fluid flywheel, this hub can eventually wear against the flange of the bush, thus reducing the clearance between the faces of the two members. This was explained to me about 40 years ago, I've never heard it before but I remember being told that, when they are touching, it sounds like a gyrocopter

There's a recent thread on taking the gearbox out to get to the flywheel viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5312

Once the gearbox is out, you then remove the bell housing, then unbolt the driving member from the flywheel, then remove both members and find somewhere to service the hub/bush.

Simon Hyslop

Post by Simon Hyslop »

I was just re-reading this thread and I was also looking at the C C Wakefield booklet "Lubrication and care of the Wilson Pre selective gearbox, dated 11/47. I appreciate the previous references to ATF and F oils as being relevant to automatic gearboxes but, bearing in mind that this publication is from 1947 and not 57 or even 67, the last page is interesting. It specifically states that Castrol XL (i.e. what we take to be 30 now) was to be used in Armstrong Siddeley, 6 cylinder Riley, Sunbeam and Talbot pre selector gearboxes but everything else, including Daimler and Lanchesters was to use Castrol F.

Given the date, I doubt Castrol were selling much (any?) automatic gearbox fluid in the UK and so if Castrol F was therefore "something else" it would be interesting to know what and why. It may well have been a 30 weight oil but there must have been something different about it when Castrol went to the bother of specifying two separate grades for the Riley 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder boxes which, to the best of my knowledge, were the same unit so was it related more to the application rather than the box itself?

Just while on the sort of topic of specific Daimler/Lanchester parts , I found it interesting that there were two special rotor arms specified for Daimlers and Lanchesters during the 1930s. They were for the 4 and 6 cylinder cars, 400311 and 403869 replacing 400052 and 403866. I haven't any of the former yet but I have a stock of the latter and the difference appears to be that the 403869 has a nickel arm rather than the brass one fitted to a 403866. I wonder if there were other items which have largely disappeared because they superficially look the same as a cheaper article but were originally specified by the makers a better quality item than that otherwise generally available.

(There are some 400311 on ebay but only one of them looks like nickel and the others could be "equivalent to" although one is in a Lucas box- at 3d dearer when new there had to be, literally, a "material" difference !)