Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Transmission noise in Conquest Century / Oil query

Alistair

Transmission noise in Conquest Century / Oil query

Post by Alistair »

Hello, I have a 1957 Century with a noisy transmission. It was my first plan to change the oil in the gearbox. This I am told by referrence is Castrol F oil. I am now confused. Is this the same as AFT Type F transmission fluid or is this some other form of oil?

Thanks in advance.

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Transmission noise in Conquest Century / Oil query

Post by Stan Thomas »

I take it your car has a fully automatic gearbox - as opposed to the earlier and more common pre-selector with fluid flywheel.

That so, either the handbook or any oil blender (I suggest you Gooogle or email Silkolene) will recommend the correct oil - but as I recall, it is straight-forward transmission fluid - so check that out.

The "noise" is more difficult without a description - so can you explain in more detail what exactly it is, and any other symptoms?

Stan.

Alistair

Post by Alistair »

Hi Stan

Thanks for your reply. The car has the regular preselector gearbox. A Wilson transmissions cross referrence for this states that Daimler preselect takes Castrol F or equivalent. When I google for "Castrol F Oil" all I get is ATF Type F as a suggestion. Castrol's web page has a classic and vintage section which does not list anything simply described as Castrol F, except for ATF Type F.

The noise is like a bearing running dry. The car has stood unused many years prior to my recent acquisition of it. From the handbook it seems fairly regular changes of all types of lubricant are required so I was going to change the oil first then see where that leads me.

Peter Grant
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Peter Grant »

Okay, let’s go to the Owner’s Handbook and get the right information out there.

The Handbook specifies that the engine, fluid flywheel and pre selector gearbox all use a 10/30 viscosity index engine oil.
There are types for various manufacturers but they are probably obsolete now.

The fluid flywheel capacity is 8 pints, the engine 10 pints and the gear box is 5 1/2 pints.

On the automatic version the automatic transmission takes 15 pints and the recommended fluid is Esso 55, Shell Donald T6, Mobil Mobilfluid 200 or Wakefield Castro’s TQ.

Bottoms Up!
Peter Grant
Sydney.

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

Peter's last post is correct (although us Pommies have been lead to believe all Auzzies are named Bruce).

The pre-selector gearbox in your car therefore requires a straight S.A.E 30 grade oil - so just pop along to anywhere like Halfrauds and but a gallon of "classic" 30 grade oil - job done. However, best check that it is a pre-selector box given you have been chasing ATF transmission fluids etc.

The ATF and "F" type oils you mentioned are for fully automatic transmissions which were fitted to the very last Conquests around 1957.

Can't help you with your transmission though until you can give me your best description of the noise.

Stan.
Last edited by Stan Thomas on Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alistair

Post by Alistair »

Thank you both. Google has let me down with every search result being an attempt to take me to eBay to buy something evidently unsuitable or an old road test review which oddly never got to the detail of the oil specs! I have some 10w30 multigrade in the garage which will probably be fine for the purposes of running it for recomissioning.

Alistair

Post by Alistair »

If flushing and changing oil does not result in quieter transmission I shall post a video so you can hear. I've done little more driving than backed it off the trailer since I got it and checking the oil is next job.

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

Alistair,

Just to make doubly sure regarding your transmission - can you post a picture of your gear-change lever and quadrant.

Its just that your car could be fully automatic being a 1957 reg and your initial query tegarding ATF oils. Better to be safe than sorry as my dear old granny used to say (although full of gin at the time).

Alistair

Post by Alistair »

Its quite definitely a preselector as it has 3 pedals and operates as one should. Albeit with a fair bit more noise.

I can't work out how to post my own photos here but the one I have looks just like this one I found on the internet

Admin edit:
To show a photo or image in a post or reply, open a New Topic or reply window, click Attachments below left of the post window, then click Add files which will open your computer's file list, highlight a file (preferably in a .jpg, .jpeg, .bmp or .gif format), click Open at the bottom of the window, wait for it to upload and it should show the filename in the original post page, put the cursor in the post where you want the photo and click Place inline which will add the filename inside [ attachment] [ /attachment] code. You can Add files several times. Then Submit the post. You don't need to use [ URL] [ /URL] or [ IMG] [ /IMG] tags. This is for Windows computers, but I think it's similar for iPads, etc. You may have to reduce the size of a photo (PX or KB) as cameras produce large file sizes.

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

That is a pre-selector gearbox, not automatic transmission - so use a straight 30 grade engine oil. Can't help with the "noise" until I have more detail.

Is the noise when in neutral or a specific gear? However, there will be some whine in neutral at low engine speeds which is a characteristic of the fluid flywheel - which you should also check the level - and again top up with staight engine oil.